Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: More cities (City Designer 3)

I redid the map of Verena today. First attachment is the old map, second attachment is the new map. I think it's better, but there will probably be more versions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Verena1.jpg 
Views:	662 
Size:	148.1 KB 
ID:	8785   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	verena_nieuw1.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	232.9 KB 
ID:	8787  
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 12-30-2008 at 12:32 PM.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Wow, Gandwarf - you've really taken the CD3 basic software and ran with it! Excellent work, and thanks for the inspiration.
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

Thanks Jaerdaph.

So which map of Verena is better? For me it's the latest version, but my fiancee thinks the first version is still better.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Though both are good, I prefer the latter because of the inclusion of terrain outside the settlement rather than the generic grey background.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I like the second map too - it looks like Verena is being depicted in winter, but I'm not sure that's the effect you were going for. I'd even be tempted to add some white polys on a sheet above the buildings and play around with the sheet effects to make it look like snow drifts.
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

Yes, Verena is depicted in winter. Verena lies outside the Valley in the region of eternal snow. So basically there's snow for almost the entire year. Only late spring or summer the temperature rises and the snow melts. To the north lie the great ice plains where everything dies. No, it's not really a nice place to live. But hey, the Valley was for centuries a very nasty place to live, with all the wizards ruling there. At least Verena had no wizard troubles
    Most of stories are taking place in Verena, so it's an important town to me. That's why there's gonna be more versions I think.

I am not sure how to do snow drifts. Do you have some more specific tips?
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 01-02-2009 at 11:13 AM.

As for snow drifts, I think you are on the right track in your Duisterpunt map, using similar techniques that used for hills in Zilvertop.

I was thinking perhaps adding some small white smooth polys to the building roofs (and maybe even the trees and bushes) and adding a slight bevel and outer and inner glows. That might get tricky when you take into consideration the roof shading and global sun...
    jaerdaph

Heh, I never added that effect consciously to Duisterpunt. Ah well, I will look into it, thanks

Finished another map today, the small town of Withoeve (Whitestead). It used to be the retreat of a wizard, but he was killed during the revolution. His manor is now occupied by a single family, that are living almost as nobles. The orchards are theirs as is most of the farmland. Not much else to say, as this is only a small town.

Name:	Withoeve2.JPG 
Views:	391 
Size:	611.5 KB 
ID:	8865  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

You are definitely becoming a master at this Gandwarf, very nice.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Couldn't resist tinkering with the map. I think this version is better, yes?

Name:	Withoeve3.JPG 
Views:	179 
Size:	959.8 KB 
ID:	8871  
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 01-02-2009 at 06:21 PM.

Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast