Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: More cities (City Designer 3)

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Still looking Great!

Well, another one bites the dust.

Westdiep is a large fortified town located on the northern shore of the lake and lying between the great cities of Miston and Concetron. It can be considered the bread basket of the north of the Valley. There's a lot of agriculture going on and the harbor and river see a lot of traffic from grain barges. Only Blauwhaven has a larger harbor.

The city has seen a lot of fighting as the wizards from both Miston and Concetron wanted to control the area. There are watchtowers on both river banks and a large castle of the hill overlooking the town. The city walls also protect the islands as the lake will sometimes freeze up during the winter.

The rulers of the city never allowed large concentrations of houses near the city walls (or on the hill where the castle is located), but nowadays people are starting to settle on the shores of the river.

The Alliance maintains a large militairy presence in the city, although not as large as in Meerzicht which is located just east of Westdiep.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	westdiep5.jpg 
Views:	396 
Size:	2.80 MB 
ID:	7046  
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 10-12-2008 at 06:10 PM.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

More great work, keep it up!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Journeyer

Praise

Beautiful.

Thanks guys. No more maps from me right now. I picked up my pen and started writing again. I had such a blast making maps I forgot I was just making stuff to support the world I am writing my novels in
    I already have over 600.000 words on paper.

I will probably return to this thread later, especially after I have found out how some of the maps look in printed copies of my novels.
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 10-20-2008 at 07:19 PM.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

I already have over 600.000 words on paper.
    Congratulations!

I wish you well. Are you posting bits of your writing anywhere? Is there a "Writers Guild" you frequent that might be the Cartographers counterpart?

Sigurd

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    Congratulations!

I wish you well. Are you posting bits of your writing anywhere? Is there a "Writers Guild" you frequent that might be the Cartographers counterpart?

Sigurd
    Thanks.
    I have posted the first chapter of my first novel online, but it is in Dutch, so probably not of much use to you?

I don't frequent a writers guild. I used to visit one a couple of years ago but the feedback was slow and not really worthwhile unfortunately. I have printed about a dozen copies of my first novel and handed them out to friends and family and that is really helping a lot.

Unfortunately I am not making maps or writing right now... there's too many good games I have to play. Like Fallout 3
    So although I wanted to wrap up the second novel this year it's probably going to be next year.

Ah well. This is a personal project and I am not on a deadline. I started writing a novel because I used to earn my living with writing but I changed professions about 8 years ago. This way I keep my pen sharp.
    One novel turned into three. And I already have plans for another trilogy.

Friends are still pushing me to send the stuff that I got to a publisher... but I don't know.
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 11-06-2008 at 06:02 AM.

Well, I couldn't resist and did a quick map today. Took me about 2 hours to map the city of Groenburg.

This is a town to the southeast of the great city of Iffraon, which has been home to generations of powerful wizards. The region has seen many wars with the great cities of Miston and Concetron. Groenburg once started as a keep that was built to protect the caravans that travelled there.

Groenburg is now quite a large town, but it's not really prosperous and it doesn't have many places of interest. There's some farming going on and some trade. The people hope that once the rebellion near Sirilion dies out the town will see a lot more traffic and trade.

Because of all the conflicts over the years walls were added and even a moat. The moat makes the town quite unique as not many other settlements have one. Winters in The Valley are harsh and water will often freeze.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	groenburg2.jpg 
Views:	1086 
Size:	456.9 KB 
ID:	8128  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks good as always G.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Another nice job...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast