Thread: Rhiannon - First Ever Map (Village)

Default Rhiannon - First Ever Map (Village)

I made this map for a 1 on 1 game I host for a friend through fantasy grounds, he really liked the antique overland style when I was showing him different types of maps so I decided to learn how. I use Dundjinni and Pyromancer for tactical maps but this my first town/overland style. I used Rob A's parchment guide for the background in Gimp, along with Rpg Citymap Generator to get the roads and water. The rest like the trees, buildings, text etc, were all done in autorealm. I'd really like to get some feedback to help improve, thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rhiannon12.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	189.2 KB 
ID:	71368  

Banned User

That's a very nice map, congratulations on your first map post!

And welcome to the Guild!

My only comment is that if that grey blob in the center is a lake or pond, it should have an outlet running to the river. You might also consider extending the upstream end of the river off the map, since rivers don't start abruptly in the middle of a field.

Good job! I hope we will see more of your work

Cheers,
    Cornelia

Graphically, I think that the map looks great.

If you want feedback for improvement, I suggest that you look at improving the village design.
    Think about what each group of people need.

First, why is there a village at this location?
    Something is usually the catalyst that starts a community growing in a particular location.
    ... two roads cross, so there is lots of traffic and a need for an inn.
    ... a road intersects a river at a natural ford, or someone builds a ferry to cross the river.
    ... a knight is granted some land and builds a keep/manor house.
    Once something exists, there is a reason for other people to settle near it.

Second, think about 'downtown' ... what is it like?
    In this map, a Temple, Town Hall and Inn surrounding an open market square might form the 'center of town'.

Third, think about what the businesses/crafts want and need.
    The Mill probably wants a waterwheel to power the saw ... the availability of a location to build a waterwheel may be why someone built a mill here.
    This gives us a chance to combine some features into a logical grouping ... what if a small dam across the river powers the water wheel?
    now you can move the mill near the river and locate the pond behind the dam ... the mill creates the dam that creates the pond.
    The Journeymen want to live/work near the market where they can sell their goods.
    So you might want to locate the Journeymen near the market ... now you have a clear 'village' forming.

Fourth, farmers like to be able to walk to the market, but they need to be near their farmland.
    So small clusters of 2-4 farm houses just beyond the 'village' and surrounded by fields might be scattered around the 'core'.
    Or perhaps each farmer works his own land, then a small house/barn/outbuilding cluster surrounded by a farm defined by a stone wall or hedge radiate out from the core along small farm roads that allow them to get to the market/village.

How you answer the basic questions for each individual settlement determines its form and character.
    Last edited by atpollard; 03-05-2015 at 09:08 AM.