Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Replicating 18th/19th century map style

I wondered if it was just the general inexactitude of old maps, but thought I'd mention it just in case!

I think you've got all the main UK cities, but some other possibilities are Norwich, which was quite an important city historically ... and would conveniently fill out the empty space to the east of Birmingham. There's also Oxford and Cambridge, which have had important universities forever, but I'm not sure if that fits with the theme? There's also Swansea, just along the coast from Cardiff, which is the 'second city' of Wales. There's also Portsmouth on the south coast of England. It's been an important port and naval base for a long, long time (It gets mentioned in Jane Austen novels, so that shows how long it's been around!)

Hope this helps.

There were no important cities in the South west ?

Also, about city placement: I think the confusion comes from the projection I'm using. Not sure which one is it but England is at the edge of it and is a bit distorted because of that. It is centered on Austria.

That's looking very nice Azelor! Good colors and style.

How large is this map supposed to be? I ask because the scale of the hatching used as fill seems off. I've done some work on reproduction of that era myself, and in my experience the hatching is usually at between 60 and 80 lines to the inch. That would make your map about six inches tall, which seems a little on the small side.

In addition, the hatching on the seas looks good, a bunch of parallel dark lines. On land, though, it looks strange, more like Venetian blinds. Zooming in shows that the land hatching is a repeated pattern of four pixels (at this resolution), proceeding from light to light-ish to dark-ish to dark, then immediately back to light. How is this produced?

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    There were no important cities in the South west ?
    Well, you do have Bristol already, which is probably the largest city in that area, but you could also add Plymouth or Exeter. I'm not sure how many places you want to include, so I didn't want to overload you!

Quote Originally Posted by gilgamec View Post
    How large is this map supposed to be? I ask because the scale of the hatching used as fill seems off. I've done some work on reproduction of that era myself, and in my experience the hatching is usually at between 60 and 80 lines to the inch. That would make your map about six inches tall, which seems a little on the small side.

In addition, the hatching on the seas looks good, a bunch of parallel dark lines. On land, though, it looks strange, more like Venetian blinds. Zooming in shows that the land hatching is a repeated pattern of four pixels (at this resolution), proceeding from light to light-ish to dark-ish to dark, then immediately back to light. How is this produced?
    Oh well the map is pretty small actually since it's only a small part from the map I used for Europe. It's 1580 pixel high and with that resolution (150 DPI), it's about 10 inches high. It could fit on a normal sheet of paper, vertically. Assuming there are 38 lines in a selection encompassing 5 % of the map, I can estimate the total number of line to 760. This give me 72,3 lines per inch.

The other pattern is in fact 2 different pattern one above the other. I could not decide which one was better, so I kept both of them. As I understand, the pattern from land is should be different form the one in the ocean? I might use the same pattern as in the ocean except that it will be vertical instead of horizontal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12