Quote Originally Posted by gilgamec View Post
How large is this map supposed to be? I ask because the scale of the hatching used as fill seems off. I've done some work on reproduction of that era myself, and in my experience the hatching is usually at between 60 and 80 lines to the inch. That would make your map about six inches tall, which seems a little on the small side.

In addition, the hatching on the seas looks good, a bunch of parallel dark lines. On land, though, it looks strange, more like Venetian blinds. Zooming in shows that the land hatching is a repeated pattern of four pixels (at this resolution), proceeding from light to light-ish to dark-ish to dark, then immediately back to light. How is this produced?
Oh well the map is pretty small actually since it's only a small part from the map I used for Europe. It's 1580 pixel high and with that resolution (150 DPI), it's about 10 inches high. It could fit on a normal sheet of paper, vertically. Assuming there are 38 lines in a selection encompassing 5 % of the map, I can estimate the total number of line to 760. This give me 72,3 lines per inch.

The other pattern is in fact 2 different pattern one above the other. I could not decide which one was better, so I kept both of them. As I understand, the pattern from land is should be different form the one in the ocean? I might use the same pattern as in the ocean except that it will be vertical instead of horizontal.