Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WIP - Paratorna

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tolcreator View Post
    Of course, fantasy is fantasy, but I think the fantastical is all the more wonderous if it has normality to contrast to. Therefore the desire for worlds to have verisimilitude, and then add fantastic elements on top.
    The map is so good, and really there's just one wrong river, that it's very tempting to just... correct it. If it's a commission, please mention it to the customer! If they don't *need* the river there, then it would be oh so easy to just move the source to that lake in the mountains. If they need boats going up both rivers to that lake, then have a canal?
    Well said tolcreator.

I can see both sides in the debate of geological accuracy vs 'it's fantasy and it doesn't matter'. It's true that one small river isn't going to ruin your suspension of disbelief, but in these days of in-depth discussions on internet forums, someone will notice and they will surely mention it, even if it's just so they can be a smartypants. Why start out with a problematic map if it can be avoided? And sometimes, even if you don't have great knowledge about geography, you can look at something and it just feels wrong. You may not be able to put your finger on the reason why, but you know something's off and it niggles...

I hear your advice guys and respect it, but this map is already out there in print all over the place. (Here's for instance a link to the free official map of all Trakorien in the game based on the novels: http://frialigan.se/wp-content/uploa..._trakorien.pdf - ObbeHobbe was working on that one as well). If I started on the project today I might have heeded your advice but it's far too late and I confess I don't lie sleepless at night because of this. So far there's 1800 pages of novel written about these lands and people even walk along the riverbanks not wondering "where the hell did this river come from?" ;-)

If you look at the island of Palamux in the linked map you'll see some other anomalies: the center of the island consists of an old meteorite impact crater with a glazed northern wall that mirrors sunlight into the valley and creates a local desert. The foreign hot winds of the desert due to politics among the local winds are not allowed to rise but are chased eastward to the coast creating a permanent tropical storm at Fontra Cilor where they meet the sea. That's Trakorien for you - just go with the (river) flow! ;-)

... and in any case Obbehobbe has no blame in this.

A really nice map!
    Good mountains, great forests and really good colours harmony, in my opinion.
    I particularly like how you rendered the rivers flowing into the forests.

Professional Artist SteffenBrand's Avatar

Well done, i like the mix of lining and color you did! =)
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Hi folks!

I think this is the last one. Posting it here for you guys to catch any last anomalies.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	paratorna8b.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	71790
    Last edited by Obbehobbe; 03-18-2015 at 12:14 PM.
    "That sounds... incredibly complicated, but there's no doubt the result is fantastic." /Diamond

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123