Thread: WIP: The Hot Gate

Wip WIP: The Hot Gate

Hello all,

I just recently found this site (very amazing stuff here) and I figured I might as well post my current WIP. This is my first map in Photoshop, actually its my first anything in Photoshop. I purchased a pen tablet recently and decided to teach myself how to draw maps digitally, I am having fun so far.

I had been working on this map last week and it looked like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The-Hot-Gate.png 
Views:	85 
Size:	3.37 MB 
ID:	71587

This is where I am at now:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The-Hot-Gate_Current.png 
Views:	217 
Size:	3.99 MB 
ID:	71586

Thanks all!

Banned User

Next week, the World Cartography Prize

Hi Sharpsmile, welcome to the Guild!

Very nice first map, hope to see lots more

Very good, welcome to the Guild Sharpsmile

Hi, and welcome! I love what you've done so far. It looks awesome.

Thanks for the nice comments, there is such a good vibe on this site, I love it. I am having a blast teaching myself PS and the tablet is a dream, cant imagine not having it now. The above map is close to done, however there are some elements that I am not super happy with (such is the way when learning something new). I should have an update by Tues of next week, which will include a border edit and a redesign of the compass rose. I am going to do a series of location maps set on this island so I can continue to practice this style, so more to come.

I started drawing a location map of Fallen Shore which is a flotilla/dock town and will work on the two maps in tandem, not sure if I should post that here (since its a sub map of The Hot Gate), or do a new thread.

Anyways, I am looking forward to any feedback and of course I am super excited to dig through these forums and look at/ comment on peoples work once I have a spare few hours.

Next week, the World Cartography Prize
    There are prizes? neat!

~Sharpie

Really nice work sharpie. You already have developed a very pleasing style.

I agree with everyone else, this is very nice indeed!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Nice mountains and forests, lovely volcano.
    The border is coming along nicely, maybe the compass is too regular compared to the hand drawn feel of the overall map.
    Really nice colouring.
    There are some rivers issues: a splitting river (northeast) and a rivenr not flowing into the sea (also splitting, in the southwest).
    A really good job so far!

Quote Originally Posted by fabio p View Post
    Nice mountains and forests, lovely volcano.
    The border is coming along nicely, maybe the compass is too regular compared to the hand drawn feel of the overall map.
    Really nice colouring.
    There are some rivers issues: a splitting river (northeast) and a rivenr not flowing into the sea (also splitting, in the southwest).
    A really good job so far!
    Thanks for the feedback about the rivers and compass. I drew about five different compasses and wasn't happy with any of them so the one posted is just a generic placeholder, I will replace it with something custom soon.
    -The four corner icons are the main symbols of the major pirate factions in the area (might as well have some lore right).
    - The two side icons are part of the island lore, the treasure "x" represents the possibility of adventure here t The Hot Gate and the serpent wrapped around the mast represents disaster and the inherent dangers of being at sea.

- the rivers to be honest were not thought out super well, I was still trying to figure out some of the tools in PS and may have been more focused on that rather then getting the rivers right. I agree about the dead end river in the south west, I'll fix that, as for the split in the north east, I know just what to do with that!

- design idea - Maybe the compass could be designed based o a sextant?

It's finals week here in Davis so not a ton of map work happening right now, but I will continue to mess with the border soon, thanks for being a great community!

~ Sharpie