Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hyboria WIP

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Wip

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    That seems to be an interesting change. Even more close to an Earth super-continent by many aspects.
    The world of Conan is just a prehistoric version of Earth, so it makes sense to give real geography more room. I think the essays, which I mentioned above, are sound and well developed.

I added most of the large mountain ranges and rivers, along with basic colours for the regions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thuria.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	3.62 MB 
ID:	71517  

I'll be interested in seeing the finished map as It's probably the first map I ever made back at the tender age of about 9. Although to be fair it was copied out of the front of the book. The version I remember was superimposed over the modern continents, which matched Howard's races with their modern counterparts.

Having just looked closer at the map I can see one inconsistency with the literature source material, you have the Americas attached as the west coast, where as the west coast in the books was the Pictish lands, relating to the position of the. British Isles, the age of Hyberboria is after the super continent and more the Neolithic age, with the land bridge intact between Europ and the British Isles.

This might help in setting your boundries if you wish to stick with the literature history.

"On a map Howard drew conceptualizing the Hyborian Age, his vision of the Mediterranean Sea is dry. The Nile, which he renamed the River Styx, takes a westward turn at right angles just beyond the Nile Delta, plowing through the mountains so as to be able to reach the Straits of Gibraltar. Although his Black Sea is also dry, his Caspian Sea, which he renames the Vilayet Sea, extends northward to reach the Arctic Ocean, so as to provide a barrier to encapsulate the settings of his stories. Not only are his Baltic Sea and English Channel dry, but most of the North Sea and a vast region to the west, easily including Ireland, are, too. Meanwhile, the west coast of Africa on his map lies beneath the sea."
    Last edited by - Max -; 03-11-2015 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Merging triple post

Quote Originally Posted by Peter 67 View Post
    Having just looked closer at the map I can see one inconsistency with the literature source material, you have the Americas attached as the west coast, where as the west coast in the books was the Pictish lands, relating to the position of the. British Isles, the age of Hyberboria is after the super continent and more the Neolithic age, with the land bridge intact between Europ and the British Isles.
    I don't know where you can see the Americas, but surely not on this map. This map is in the western parts practically identical to all existing maps and as I know, also to the descriptions of the book. Where it deviates are the African and Asian parts.
    Take a look here and here.

My mistake, it looked like the Americas on my small kindle screen. I guess I'm not used to seeing that much of Africa on the maps, most of the original material only showed down to where the Sahara desert now http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyborian_Age shows the original Howard map which is the one I remember

My mistake, it looked like the Americas on my small kindle screen. I guess I'm not used to seeing that much of Africa on the maps, most of the original material only showed down to where the Sahara desert now http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyborian_Age shows the original Howard map which is the one I remember
    That may be the reason, yes.

My new version is mainly based on this map by Vincent Darlage. The large land mass in the south east is Australia, which works as Lemuria.

On a side line the land is referred to as Hyboria by Howard for the Conan books, Thuria is the name of the land in the Kull books which are set in the Thurian age, the land masses changed dramatically between these to ages including, sorry to add, the sinking of Lemuria which was a large chain of islands of the west of Thuria.

It all depends on how much you wish to use the source material.

On a positive note, the map looks fantastic.
    Last edited by Peter 67; 03-12-2015 at 04:01 AM.

On a side line the land is referred to as Hyboria by Howard for the Conan books, Thuria is the name of the land in the Kull books which are set in the Thurian age, the land masses changed dramatically between these to ages including, sorry to add, the sinking of Lemuria which was a large chain of islands of the west of Thuria.

It all depends on how much you wish to use the source material.

On a positive note, the map looks fantastic.
    Thanks!
    Hm, that makes is difficult to name the continent. I got the information by an author who did a lot of Conan RPG stuff. Well, still time to decide, but I tend to 'Hyboria' as the more common name.
    I actually have done a map of Thuria some time ago, but hadn't realized it is also a Robert E. Howard setting.

Btw, I made a mistake. Australia is Mu, not Lemuria.
    Last edited by Sapiento; 03-12-2015 at 08:30 AM.

The trouble with a lot of the later Conan sources is that they are often reworkings of other Howard books as Conan was the most popular, and often the only one remembered.

And another ooops for you, Mu doesen't exist at this time either or in the Thurian Age as Lemuria is the mountain tops of the sunken land of Mu. Seems like the author of the Conan RPG is not a very reliable source for material!!!

The trouble with a lot of the later Conan sources is that they are often reworkings of other Howard books as Conan was the most popular, and often the only one remembered.

And another ooops for you, Mu doesen't exist at this time either or in the Thurian Age as Lemuria is the mountain tops of the sunken land of Mu. Seems like the author of the Conan RPG is not a very reliable source for material!!!
    The Mu placement comes from another map, not the author.
    Then I leave it simply as unknown area.
    Last edited by Sapiento; 03-12-2015 at 11:29 AM.

It seems to be a common thing of mixing Conan and Kull, the first Conan film with Arnold Schwarzenegger was actual based on a Kull story, the back story of Conan comes from Kulls. But then again some of the Conan stories have been rewritten from other Howard books.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast