Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Hyboria WIP

Those look nice. Will you have different ones for different regions?
    Mainly thinking of the northern barbarians, as their cities would look quite different.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Those look nice. Will you have different ones for different regions?
    Mainly thinking of the northern barbarians, as their cities would look quite different.
    Thanks!
    Probably 3 or 4 different cultures, for the northern people I had envisioned a more medieval look.

Cities added. In some places it was really difficult to find enough room for the labels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hyboria New.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	3.22 MB 
ID:	71879  

Yeah, that's a lot of labeling in tight spaces.
    Not really sure what else you could do. Other than smaller text, which of course would be hard to read.

Yeah. Another option for tight space labeling, though not a good one for this probably, is the city locations list off to the side with letters/numbers on the map. Could break a list into smaller sections by region. Or do an atlas-style letter/number grid across the map with a list of locations (A7, DK, etc.). But... I'd say what you've done is a pretty good job for what you have to work with and is not a bad solution for the style. So, nice work.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Yes I would say pretty good work on labeling so far. Obliques ones are probably the best option for that number of towns. The hard part will probably start now with additional geographical and political labels to intricate without overlapping the current ones

Thank you, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Yeah, that's a lot of labeling in tight spaces.
    Not really sure what else you could do. Other than smaller text, which of course would be hard to read.
    Indeed. The labels are already small.

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    Yeah. Another option for tight space labeling, though not a good one for this probably, is the city locations list off to the side with letters/numbers on the map. Could break a list into smaller sections by region. Or do an atlas-style letter/number grid across the map with a list of locations (A7, DK, etc.). But... I'd say what you've done is a pretty good job for what you have to work with and is not a bad solution for the style. So, nice work.
    I had thought about a numers-and-legend-option, but it would make reading the map more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    Yes I would say pretty good work on labeling so far. Obliques ones are probably the best option for that number of towns. The hard part will probably start now with additional geographical and political labels to intricate without overlapping the current ones
    That will be challenging, yes.

I hate to bring this up now but I think your forests have too much depth. It looks like you have huge green hills and in some areas look higher than the nearby mountains. Looking at a forest from above, especially at this scale, the tree tops would be uniform height. The way you have highlights and shadows along with the lines gives the impression of depth. Other Han that I think the map is looking very nice.

I can see what ascanius is saying but I really like the volume of the forests.
    Not arguing a point or weighing in to take a side, I just really like them as they are.
    I feel like forests are often too flat. These are some of my favorite ones from a distance this far out.

Maybe I'll throw this in too... at this distance out you wouldn't really see any features very strongly. Just color and texture, and that would be boring.

Wip

I think it doesn't hurt to give the forests some depths at this scale.

Most of the labelling is done, but I will probably add more locations here and there.

Now I will start with the decorative elements like compass, scale bar, border etc.

Any suggestions for border decorations?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hyboria New.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	3.72 MB 
ID:	71938  

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast