Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: December 2015 Annual Challenge: City of the Underworld

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default December 2015 Annual Challenge: City of the Underworld

So time to jump in and do a city map, what better than to do it for this challenge! I had the idea of doing a map of the greek underworld as a city map. This is a huge challenge for me because as of yet I have not done a lot of city maps, especially in such a detailed type of style.

It's still forming as a complete idea, I want to stay true to greek mythology so some of the elements have to be incorporated in the map. The five rivers are very important, especially the river styx. There are also seven different sections of hades that I am going to create into different districts of the city they are; Hades' palace, the Vale of mourning, Elysium, isles of the blessed, the fields of punishment, the fields of Asphodel, and Tartarus.

I still have a lot to do on this map, but thankfully I have a while to work on it.

The key is temporary but I thought that it would help me as I continue to create this hell.

Any and all comments, suggestions, and criticisms are always welcome!

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	city_of_the_Underworld.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	423.0 KB 
ID:	71552

Ooh, off to a great start. I really dig 6. Pit of Tartarus.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Hey Domino, this is already looking very promising! A very good Idea for the challenge. When i read Dante's commedia i was always imagining a map of the inferno, so i'll follow this thread... sure as hell!

Banned User

Super idea

This should prove interesting Domino. I'm a big fan of Greek mythology so this is right up my alley.

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    This should prove interesting Domino. I'm a big fan of Greek mythology so this is right up my alley.
    Mine, too I had read Bulfinch by the time I was 12, Homer by the time I was 20, and I have walked on the walls of Troy. I was toying with the idea of mapping the Odyssey for this challenge ... maybe I still will

Thanks Arsheesh, I really dig the tartarus pit as well!

Abu Lafia, I am hoping that my inferno will be a very fiery success but I am also going to incorporate the good parts of the underworld as well. Thanks for the kind words!

J.Edward, I am also a huge fan of Greek mythology, and I hope I can do it justice in this map! Thanks for your encouraging comment!

Thanks Chick! It must have been awesome to walk the wall of Troy! A map of the Odyssey would be really cool!

Very good idea Domino44, and a pretty good start. Hmmm, a map of the Odyssey : another excellent idea !

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Fine idea indeed, I'm looking forward to seeing it progress !

Thanks Ilanthar! And I agree it would be very cool to see two greek maps this challenge!

Max, encouragement from you always means a lot and I hope that my progress doesn't disappoint.

I am going to try and stretch out my updates on this so it might be a little while before I have another update... Thanks Guilders for being awesome!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast