Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: WIP: Fallen Shore

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Hey sharpie, don't be afraid to have some of the buildings extending out over the water. A lot of wharf/waterfront/dock areas do have buildings where the roof line and the actual building is cantilevered out over the water. Sometimes it's for loading/unloading from boats using a pulley system up in the building.
    I think it could add a lot to this piece since it is all docks.

You sir have just helped me big time, I was struggling with some areas that I am only so so about, but you are right about the function of those extended structures on docks. Also, I was thinking about Venice and there are many buildings where smaller boats will park under them, like a garage, I am going to make some cool changes I hope, thank you again!

~Sharpie

Like the Looks of it so far. really like the Cornices !
    "Aye The skies be clear , the seas be calm and the winds be with us .....

ARGH!! but the damn compass be broken!! "

Capt. Noah Swalter Last voyage of the " Silver Crest"

My pleasure sir. Looking forward to the next update.

Having fun with doing a town so far, still trying to develop my own style and make my work pleasing to the eye...what do you all think?
    - working on roof highlights
    - starting to add in drop shadows for structures

- Updated the foot paths.

- I have one of the notes layers on in this one, just showing some name ideas.

My brain seems to be broken with some of my shading for the breaks in the raised paths....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fallen Shore 032315.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	3.23 MB 
ID:	71979

Hope you like =)

~Sharpie
    Last edited by Sharpsmile; 03-23-2015 at 11:11 PM.

Well, for the raised paths, you could do some steps. Those are much easier to convey change of height.
    It's looking pretty good so far.

It's progressing nicely, Sharpsmile!

I love the tonal qualities. Really interesting feel and mood. I am not sure what the black 4 corner things are, they kind of look cool but not really sure what they are.
    I like the raised textures really nice.

Why is the largest ship totally locked in? If it is a dry dock and the surrounding structures will be destroyed, it makes sense but otherwise really strange not to have an area that the ship can actually get out of.
    Overall, I am very impressed. You also can have floating houses that extend out further from the docks. Where I live many houses are built that way especially shrimp farms.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

This is looking great! I'm really impressed with the shading on that rock outcrop that's just north of centre. I'm excited to see that applied to the mainland too, although I gotta say it's looking good just as lines. Actually, you know, I really like your sketch style. The peninsula at the top is really lively even without colour or shade. I would love to see an entire map done by you just as a sketch, you manage to say a lot with simple lines.

I think what I'm hoping for is a little more character on the buildings. This is funny for me to say, because the last town map I made has very flat shading, so feel free to ignore that; I certainly haven't taken my own advice! But some hints at roof textures would be good to see. You may be on that already. I'm not saying you need to sketch in every shingle, but a few marks on the roofs will liven the town up I think. Like maybe less than -Max- might do but more than you have currently? (Edit: I just spotted Larb's map here that has some nice examples too)

I also love Dead Man's Breach and I know I would like to see a couple other spots where large shoals poke up in little spikes above the water. The fact that you have taken the time to add formations under the surface adds a huge amount of depth. Literally I guess!

This is really nice work.

Cheers,
    Meshon
    Last edited by Meshon; 03-27-2015 at 12:20 PM.

One question, how do the ships get out, those waterways look much to narrow for them to pass. Sorry if this was already answered. Other than that it's a very interesting map, it remindes me of lake Town in the Hobbit.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast