-- some water work
    -- some land shading

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fallen Shore  050315.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	3.47 MB 
ID:	73132

~ Sharpie

I'd like to know more about the gear shaped gap in the walkways mid right. It looks interesting

That's looking nice Sharpie! How close do you think you are to finished at this point? (Just curious.)
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Thanks Chashio, I am not sure how much longer I have on this map, I am still teaching myself the ins and outs to of Photoshop and I have never attempted a map like this before. I would say maybe a couple of more updates and around 10 hours or so, I could be way off tho . Every time I look at the map I see things that I want to do better or change, but I am sure that is a feeling that most of you have felt on your projects right?

~ Sharpie

It's looking really good Sharpie. I really like how you've rendered things.

Thanks J. it's been a fun process so far.

one thing that I am finding is that I am having hand fatigue during my shading process. On my next map I need to figure out how to achieve a clean shading workflow, I know I must be doing something wrong, I might be just over doing it on the shading. I have my pen settings set to pressure sensitive, between 10% - 20% so that I can layer my shading. I know that when I draw on paper I apply varying levels of pressure with my pencils to achieve a feather and then I will blend to eliminate hard edges. One of the things that I love about your maps and Larbs maps is that you guys just have a single shade tone and it's super freaking clean looking, I actually tried to emulate that on the building roofs on the land area, anyways thanks for the feedback and I will continue to try to elevate my skills.

as for an update, here you go, I think I might be done on the land stuff, well I might need to do some work on the road. Time for the water work, both surface and underneath the surface.

Feed back is always appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fallen Shore  050715.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	3.48 MB 
ID:	73225

~ Sharpie

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpsmile View Post
    Every time I look at the map I see things that I want to do better or change, but I am sure that is a feeling that most of you have felt on your projects right?
    Absolutely.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Hey Sharpie, how are you doing the shading? I do it several different ways depending on the style of map I'm doing.
    But one way that may be easier for you is to create a layer and set it to multiply. Then use a mid to light grey and paint in all the shaded areas.
    Once done, use a good smudge brush and blend/fade the edges of the shadows, except where they come close to a hard structure.

That's one way. I do a number of different ones. Sometimes I'll have several different multiply layers with differing tones of grey.
    I'll add that my hands do hurt some after drawing for a number of hours. I grip too tight when I work. It's a bad habit.
    Last edited by J.Edward; 05-20-2015 at 10:34 AM.

Very cool idea!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast