Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: WIP - VA'DUM The Eldest & Most Primal Dominion

So very cool!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I am really loving this...

Banned User

Thanks everyone! I'd say I'm about 70% done as of writing and I think I'll keep that last 30% of presentation and other stuff for the finished post. Thanks for the support. (A week straight of the map, so far : s)

This is amazing Sarithus. I could definite see this as a zone in a Blizzard game like Diablo or Warcraft. Do you work professionally with art like this (not necessary mapping), or is it just a hobby? Because this has a very professional look to it.

Eager to see the final result

Cheers,
    Tainotim

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by tainotim View Post
    This is amazing Sarithus. I could definite see this as a zone in a Blizzard game like Diablo or Warcraft. Do you work professionally with art like this (not necessary mapping), or is it just a hobby? Because this has a very professional look to it.

Eager to see the final result

Cheers,
    Tainotim
    Thanks Tainotim! I've been drawing since an early age so it was pretty much my first hobby. I planned all throughout my school years to become a concept artist/freelance illustrator, but for various reasons that hasn't happened. I painted fantasy creatures, portraits and some landscapes in the past, but I've sort of stopped painting and transitioned to graphic design. I don't do nearly as much as I should, nowadays. I'd say this map has rekindled some of my passion for painting, and making maps in general has given me a reason to go back to art and design. But yeah, the short version is that all my art stuff is just a hobby.

By Tainotim
    I could definite see this as a zone in a Blizzard game like Diablo or Warcraft
    I can only second that!
    I'm glad you're using again you talent for drawing and mapping !

Banned User

Finished map post coming tomorrow.

unfortunate that your art stuff is just a hobby it looks awesome

and sorry, i was away from my computer and didnt see the response... completely sorry for being un-readable... tried to throw a little sketch together to show what i meant... i could be terrible wrong about this but heres what i was seeing, if only to better describe what i was trying to say before.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sorry2.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	2.39 MB 
ID:	71941

generally speaking the whole thing slides off the bottom right to me. and the two outer edges of the map squeeze you in and down. The large space on top is awkward.. better open space at the bottom. the spiral also leads you off. again.. im totally nit picking this. heres what "i" would do to try and help balance stuff out... i put an "s" curve to bring you back central. made the top profile a little more jaggedy to bring visual attention back up.. gave more "open" space at the bottom. evened out the sides so they dont slant inward. again, just my opinion.. either way i totally look forward to the finished product! its awsome. and please feel free to tear my work apart..

Name:	sorry.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	71942

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by CloudFang View Post
    -snip-

Name:	sorry.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	71942
    I appreciate the paint over, CloudFang. Previously to seeing this picture I added some more features to draw the eye, but I don't think I'll be changing the land up like you have suggested in your picture only because I want to get it out there already and move on to something else. I do see what you're saying, though. Honestly I didn't think about composition. I just started with the mountains and drew out rather chaotically from there. Composition isn't something I really think about when in the my map making frame of mind, though I should have. I might try the small islands to the bottom though, they might look better than what I currently have.

Map will be out later tonight probably. Thanks again.

yea no problem! like i said: just my opinion. either way this thing is great.. and not sure my take is the best play either...

cant wait to see it!

sorry for the confusing post.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast