Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Cinzienne (large, late-medieval city)

I have to say that I've really enjoyed reading back through the thread and seeing the map progress. I have a few points regarding some of the things here. Feel free to disregard as you see fit but hopefully something I say can be used to make this fine map even better.

The first has to do with the sample of the finished houses. The black outline for the colored texture seems abrupt. Perhaps try bringing the texture to a more natural edge while making sure that it doesn't blend into what's underneath it. The lack of chimneys was something else that stood out, although it could be that you've already planned to add those. I also noticed a lot of different colors for the roofs. I would suggest picking one and using it on most buildings (perhaps with minor shade variation) as I'm pretty sure a lot of roofing in those times was based on what kind of materials were locally available.

The new farm samples look great. I would only suggest showing those areas where the plow turned around to start a new row. The lines cut off at the edge quite abruptly.

For the trees, the samples look good in your latest farm picture. I would only suggest some size variation, shape variation, a bot more color variation and perhaps making the trees a little darker on one side. (Sun vs shade)

Anyway, I've rambled enough so I'll leave you with it.

Keep up the excellent work!

Ok Green Tick, you suggest I limit the number of roof tile choices. Which in your opinion look the most convincing? I have my own preferences but I'd like to ear your opinion. Also, do you have any suggestions as to how to achieve a more natural stopping point at the edge of the roofs? Finally, yes, I did plan to add chimneys using some kind of automated brush after I complete the roofs.

As for the trees, all of those things you mention needing variation are actually present here. Perhaps the scale makes it hard to notice, but I do have jitter settings cranked up, and I do plan to shade later.

Guild Applicant

@GreatWhiteNorth

I like the work you've done on this map and on many of the others that you've posted here, and am wondering if I could hire you for some paid commissions. My company, Greater Than Games, makes board games, and we're interested in some maps in the styles with which you work.

I apologize for the semi-hijacking of the thread, but I couldn't find your contact information anywhere else, and can't send PMs with a new account. If you are interested, you can email me at paul@greaterthangames.com

I guess I can't see the trees well enough to tell that the variance is there. My bad. As for the roofs, my favorite sample was the upper right hand one. I think all of them are viable and would look good but I think that one looks best. As for the edges, I'm wondering if it would work to take out the lines and do the edges with a row of tiles that are shaded darker. For the peaks and corners of the roof, I think that can be done by varying the shading on the various faces. Does that make sense?

Yeah it makes sense. I'm not that practiced with hand shading roofs yet, so it's likely that different parts of the map will look a little different as I develop a technique for this style. Your idea for the edges of the roofs is a good idea, and I think I'll try it out. As for the roof styles, the upper right will definitely stay - it's the only one made out of wood. I'll probably narrow the other roofs to two colors for the most part, with some examples of the others.

Alright, for those of you following along, this pet project is going on hold for a month while I work on a commission piece.

Hey GreatWhiteNorth,

I like the farmland and trees. You numbered the fields, yet I like all types from 1 to 6. I think it's good to have some variation in it as I'd guess that row width etc. varies with the plants grown there.
    The trees look good, maybe some shading would be good. However, I think that there are too many trees as this is farmland and so the trees would only in the way of farmers, oxes and stuff. Also they would be used for their wood for tools and buildings an their roots would also disturb the field work, especially the ploughing. As farmland is economically used land the trees would be considered both as obstacles and resources. So I would suggest to delete the trees around the fields and place them along some road or on alley and places within the city.

For the fortifications and the river: City walls could be built between the city and the river bank to protect from attacks from the river. If some river harbor should be protected, you could do this by having a narrow entrance, whether natural or built doesn't matter, and this narrow entrance could be closed for boats by putting chains or long tree-trunks across. For example the river harbour of Hamburg once was protected with tree-trunks and bridges close to them derived their names: Oberbaumbrücke and Niederbaumbrücke (i.e. Upper-tree-bridge and Lower-tree-bridge). They also had a building for storing the tree-trunks, and called it Baumwallhaus.

Guild Member Facebook Connected madbird-valiant's Avatar

Love it so far, GWN. River cities are my jam.

If I had to pick from the crops, I'd say 4 and 6 look most 'authentic', but that's just me. 1 is close though.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234