Thread: Cinzienne (large, late-medieval city)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Cinzienne (large, late-medieval city)

Hello cartographers! I'm starting this WIP thread because this will be my first city map, and I'd like some feedback along the way.

Cinzienne is a mid-to-large late medieval city, close to bursting its seams (and its walls). It was first founded as a trading post, as it sits at the confluence of two rivers, one bringing copper and iron from a mountainous valley to the northwest, the other connecting the city with the northern region of the country (Cinza) and other powerful countries across a mostly rural stretch of plains. (See my Finished Map thread for Cinzienne's location in geographical context: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=29951) The city has about 60,000 living inside and just outside the walls, and covers an area about 1.5x1.5 miles.

As for the map, I want to improve my general digital artistry, so I plan to hand-draw and shade all of the buildings, and create hand-painted hills and other geographical features.

Here's my crummy sketch (it looks better in person than it does scanned, I promise) I've been working on over the last week or so. Let me know what you think. I'll be starting the construction of the map soon!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cinzienne Sketch.jpg 
Views:	451 
Size:	304.7 KB 
ID:	71821
    Last edited by GreatWhiteNorth; 03-19-2015 at 08:50 PM.