Thread: WIP - Saphir's Tower and surrounding landscape

Wip WIP - Saphir's Tower and surrounding landscape

Hello everybody,
    still experimenting with hand- or better mouse-drawn maps in GIMP. Working on the experiences i made with the Teab map, i tried another perspective for a small rpg-setting around an old tower in the foothills of a mountain-range. Till now its not too spectacular and i'm struggling with adding details to the landscape. The brush strokes usually look a bit "out of place" on the colored and highlighted/shaded background. The last addition (and example for my problem) was the "snakey"(?) road leading to the hilltop.
    I'm still pretty much at the start of the journey, and already figuered out, that not having a tablet to work with seems to be a big obstacle... At the moment i'm trying to creatively work around that, but i encounter dead-ends in a lot of situations.

If you could spare a minute i'd love to hear your thoughts and critique and maybe some tips on how to progress.

-Abu Lafia
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SaphirsTowerWIP_by_AbuLafia.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	3.73 MB 
ID:	71846  

Wip

A small update:
    - i redrew the black lines with another brush dynamic, that fades out a bit. I drew thinner lines for the farer mountains... I think it looks better now than before.
    - changed the shadows/highlights a bit
    - did the labeling (with black outer-glow) and made a little ornament for the cartouche. I added a light beige outline to the title and the ornaments.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SaphirsTowerWIP2_by_AbuLafia.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	4.03 MB 
ID:	71918  

Guild Adept Facebook Connected

This is more of a landscape than a map per se; I like it! This provides a good background for inserting more story-influencing details. Perhaps try drawing in some streams and lakes next?

Oh, I love panoramic type maps! Nice work so far.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Hi Coriolis, hi Chashio, thank you!
    As stated i'm doing my first steps at (digitally, but also general) drawing and landscapes seem to be a standard part of that long and hard road These "panorama-maps" i know from the alpes for example - where you have a "map" in/on (?) a landscape - came to my mind and so i tried to make a map in this style, but in a much smaller scale ofc.
    I was thinking about small rivers or a lake, etc. but i spontaneously jumped into the current LiteMappingChallenge so i hope this map won't end in The Home for Abandoned Maps recently opened by eViLe_eAgLe
    Last edited by Abu Lafia; 03-23-2015 at 02:59 PM. Reason: typed while recieving another comment from Chashio ;)