Thread: Hello Everyone

Guild Applicant

Default Hello Everyone

My name is Ruth Seitelman. I'm a fantasy romance author and write as Ruth A. Casie. For sometime I've been thinking about bringing my fantasy series to life with a map. In searching the web I found the Guild.

To say I'm intimidated is an understatement but I'm eager to learn.

Hey Ruth. No need to be intimidated. Every single one of us here had to start at the very same thing.
    The Guild is full of helpful, friendly people and we all love maps. You'll find as much help as you're looking for.
    Welcome to the Guild.

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Welcome, Ruth. Don't be intimidated, we all had to start somewhere.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

Hey Ruth.
    If you came here with the specific goal of wanting a map for your books, then I'd advice you to commission said map from one of the members here. Plenty of people are willing to conjure up a perfectly fine map based on your instructions for only a few bucks (or a hundred). If you're a complete novice with regards to digital art, having to first learn the tools and then get good is something of an endeavor if you just want one map. However, if you're genuinely interested in maps and would like to learn how to create them yourself, then my best advice is to just jump right in and start playing around with whatever medium you prefer - Photoshop (expensive) or Gimp (free) are the premier tools for any detailed digital art creation).
    Some people might say the tutorial section is a good place to start, but personally, I'd advice against that. Tuts are great for inspiration and certain techniques, but you'll quickly find yourself hemmed in, creatively, because you're basically following a recipe. Your first map or two could be from a tutorial, but my advice is to start looking for your own personal style as soon as possible.
    Anyway, that's just my two cents.

Banned User

Hello Ruth, welcome to the Guild!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

I gotta agree with most of what Daelin said, but will counter his advice about the tutorials. Do not look at the tutorials as The Way To Map, but instead as a means to learn a certain style or techniques. My suggestion would be to try out all sorts of tutorials. Most of them will have an image of what they produce, so go looking through for the ones that pique your interest and try to follow some of them. Read them through first because some are NOT fgr beginners. Once you start one, post up a thread in the WIPs (Work In Progress forums) because a lot of us look through those regularly and are willing to offer advice and answer questions.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Blog Entries

Hey Ruth! Welcome!

Don't be intimidated. I waited 2 years before I had the guts to post anything (perfectionism is a disease... a very terrible and annoying disease). I probably could have learned faster though if I had just put my maps out there and gotten help from the community. There are a lot of people on here that really know their stuff about cartography, so don't hesitate to ask questions.

Welcome! I´ve got to agree with wthrasherb. I think it´s THE most friendly and helpful community around So just post and start your journey.