Thread: Please. Your thoughts on joining Monthly Challenges.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Having only been around a few months I was a little intimidated with the quality of the entries at first. But now that I've grown more comfortable with the various software I use and more or less developed a "mapping style" I will probably enter more of the contests.

I think ultimately it comes down to whether the subject of the contest "draws me in enough" that I get excited about spending the time working on an entry.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    I try and enter every month though some months I spend more time on them than others. I think the new multiple vote should enhance the voting to newer members. Del's marked me as a heavy and I have never won. Its just a bit of fun for me and a chance to try out some new ideas on a map.
    Yes, the multiple voting seems to be quite a success. We should also see the implimentation of the number of votes you get based on the number of completed entries... as per your suggestion
    I marked you as a hitter cause well... you are. ... you make great graphicly pleasing maps, and ... your a genius when it comes to mapping software 3d rendering, scripts for oh ... too many things to count, including the one we use for thumbnails. Ya, you are a bit intimidating my friend, sorry to break the news to you like this... but you rock

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Having only been around a few months I was a little intimidated with the quality of the entries at first. But now that I've grown more comfortable with the various software I use and more or less developed a "mapping style" I will probably enter more of the contests.

I think ultimately it comes down to whether the subject of the contest "draws me in enough" that I get excited about spending the time working on an entry.
    Agreed. Getting comfortable with your chosen medium of mapping is somewhat of a factor in gaining confidence to do something like a challenge. Notice I kinda revert back to my pen and ink maps as opposed to going full PS color extraordinariness. Mainly because I'm more comfortable with a pen and piece of paper than a stylus and a tablet using software that I'm still trying to wrap my brain around.
    And I too need a challenge that says (HEY!... I wanna DO THIS!) Aside from the time factor the last couple challenges, I really felt kinda blasé about the challenges. While fun to watch the others make the maps, I just wasn't all that into it.