Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Mar/Apr 2015 Lite Challenge: Shilfah - The Floating Village

Banned User

Hi Abu,

Your English is excellent. I see only a small number of minor errors, so if you will email me the text from your map, I'll fix them up for you and send it back. yodercm@earthlink.net

Good and original idea! Since you have an effect on the roofs, why not putting some shadows to your houses? And maybe some slight texture effect on the water.

A thousand thanks chick!!! That would be an enormous help. Really, really nice of you...dunno what to say... I will send you the text, if i added another paragraph with some general information, if it's ok.

@Ilanthar: Thank you! I already made some tryouts with shadows. I thought about adding them, if i have all the things finally placed in the town... hmm i thought i could upload them, but i deleted the layer :/
    Last edited by Abu Lafia; 03-25-2015 at 02:17 PM. Reason: spelling... XD

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Lafia View Post
    A thousand thanks chick!!! That would be an enormous help. Really, really nice of you...dunno what to say... I will send you the text, if i added another paragraph with some general information, if it's ok.
    Send as much as you need checked (now or later).

By Abu Lafia
    hmm i thought i could upload them, but i deleted the layer :/
    S... happens ! I did that sometimes, even with my numerous saving files!

So, thanks to chick's great help, my info-text is almost finished now!
    But i also made some progress on the village-map itself:

- I redid the b/w gradients for the "3d-ness" of the houses. I did some tests and finally took the bi-linear gradients. At least in my view, the houses shape (or the illusion of it...) looks much better now. But if i should have still some time in the end, i'll propably rework the texture of the houses, as i'm not too happy with it atm.

- I placed some elements: reed-mats & carpets. The boats will follow next.

- Finally i made the reed-fields. I reworked them a lot in the process and now i'm a bit unsure whether i like them how they are... What do you think???

The "next-big-thing" will be the Shadows of the houses and, as Ilanthar already remarked, some texture for the water. I darkened it already, as you can see, but here too i'm not too sure about the outcome ... maybe after some sleep, i'll see more clear...

edit: totally forgot: Ofc the lovely water-buffalo are still missing... i already spreaded some nice fresh reed in their pen(?)

### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shilfah_the_floating_village_WIP7.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	4.52 MB 
ID:	72120
    Last edited by Abu Lafia; 03-27-2015 at 11:13 PM.

I think you can get some good free textures for the water in the thread Mapping Elements/Texture Web sites.

Well, the good is often so near . Thanks for the hint! I'll see what i can dig out there.

Btw, i totally forgot to mention, that i got the textures for the reed-mats and the carpets from this free-texture website. Just found out, it's also listed in Redrobes' texture Web Sites thread.
    Last edited by Abu Lafia; 03-28-2015 at 10:01 AM.

This is looking fab, Abu! And I love that you've used a weave sort of texture as the background for the title. It really pulls it all together. Great job!

Thanks chick pea! Glad you like it. Well, i wanted to bring the weaved reed-mat in somehow, cause it's a common product in Shilfah. Was toying with the idea to make the whole sidebar this way, but thought it was too much and it made the smaller texts unreadable. I "cartoonized" the texture in Gimp, because i'm always a bit hesitant to juxtapose "photorealistic" elements with hand-(mouse-) drawn elements.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast