Thread: Pirate map for interactive fiction game

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Pirate map for interactive fiction game

Hey all,

I've been very impressed by the work I've seen here, and I'm curious to discuss collaborating on a possible project. Details below.

Thanks,
    Jason

>>> Commission
    30-50 USD to design a map and cover art for "Untold Riches", a new work of interactive fiction.

>>> Subject
    "Untold Riches" is a text game designed to accompany an interdisciplinary curriculum for the middle grades. The curriculum, currently in development, will use interactive fiction to explore both creative writing and computer programming.

The game is a tropical island treasure hunt. It's a fairly small game, and I wouldn't normally consider a map to be necessary, but one of my beta-testers mentioned that it might be a nice "feelie" (especially since the game is targeted for younger players). So I'd like to discuss options with any interested artists.

If I can find the right collaborator, I was also thinking it would be cool to get matching cover art for the game. This would be just typography (game title, author name) plus a few cartographic design elements.

>>> Style
    I'm looking for a map with the "pirate treasure" kind of feel. The map I've used as a reference to describe this project to others is linked here. That map is a bit cartoony, but it strikes me as about the level of detail that I have in mind. A very rough sketch of my map, along with some notes, is attached.

Cover art (typography plus map-like elements) might be something along the lines of this image, or maybe this image.

I'd love for the map and cover art to have a cool, piratical font (something like this?), but that's a bonus.

>>> Quality & Size
    Map image at whatever size the artist thinks works best. Cover art at 960x960 pixels. Neither of these need to be of print quality.

>>> Deadline
    Flexible, though I'd like to have something in hand by the fall of 2015 (September-ish). That is, in time for the new school year and the 2015 Interactive Fiction Competition (http://www.ifcomp.org/).

>>> Copyright
    Remains with cartographer. My intention is to release materials (the game, its source code, and any curriculum documents) under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/). If the cartographer were willing to do the same, that's great. Otherwise, I'm happy to include mututally-agreed-upon language in all materials about appropriate usage of the map and cover art.

>>> Contact Details
    Please contact me by email with questions or for more information: jasonermer at gmail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails untoldmap.pdf