Thread: [Award Winner] Tutorial & Guide for Hand Drawn Maps (Pen & Ink w/ Photoshop)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hey, out of curiosity, have you ever considered writing a book about this? If you wrote it in a similar way that you do your tutorials, I'm positive that there would be a sizable market; for example, when I tell people that I make maps, they're impression is "Hey, that's cool, I'd like to do that!"

Check out Lulu sometime, if you're interested. It's a very nice self publishing company.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

You know that I loves me some old school pen and ink and these practice sessions are awesome...I haven't done them in years. Thanks man! And that book isn't a half bad idea...look at all the junk on the shelves at the bookstore about how to draw Anime. But maybe there'd have to be some other stuff in there as well in order to "bulk" it up and charge 50 bucks.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Wow I gotta say this tutorial was awesome. You know your techniques are good for digital too if you have the right stuff. I just got CC3 thanks to my Dad and a writing tablet (wow what more could a kid ask for right). I'm gonna get started on doing some of those tutorials and seeing what I can come up with and finally post a map on here. Been far too long.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Great job so far Delgo!
    I may never get into hand inked maps, but if I ever decide I know where to go to get started.
    I dub thee newly repped *bonk*
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmmmpig View Post
    This just keeps getting better and better
    Thanks to both of you SG and 5mpig appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Hey, out of curiosity, have you ever considered writing a book about this? If you wrote it in a similar way that you do your tutorials, I'm positive that there would be a sizable market; for example, when I tell people that I make maps, they're impression is "Hey, that's cool, I'd like to do that!"
    Check out Lulu sometime, if you're interested. It's a very nice self publishing company.
    Actually have a publishing company, My wife and I are writers as well, and we're putting out our first book soon which we've discussed at length in this thread Book Maps
    But I hadn't considered it until you mentioned it... and now I'm seriously considering doing just that. I don't, I'd have to think about it really, as a publisher, you sink a lot of money into a book even before it hits the shelf... so its a little scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    You know that I loves me some old school pen and ink and these practice sessions are awesome...I haven't done them in years. Thanks man! And that book isn't a half bad idea...look at all the junk on the shelves at the bookstore about how to draw Anime. But maybe there'd have to be some other stuff in there as well in order to "bulk" it up and charge 50 bucks.
    Yep Ascension... I'm seriously considering it. I think I'd be putting in not only the drawing aspect but the ability to transfer and manipulate it digitally. And it wouldn't be just pen and ink I think, I'd add color mapping as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pallamadarius View Post
    Wow I gotta say this tutorial was awesome. You know your techniques are good for digital too if you have the right stuff. I just got CC3 thanks to my Dad and a writing tablet (wow what more could a kid ask for right). I'm gonna get started on doing some of those tutorials and seeing what I can come up with and finally post a map on here. Been far too long.
    Thanks Pallamadarius... Your dad sounds like an AWESOME guy. Post a map up .. we love maps... post them up and let's see them!!