Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] The Damourlingr Riverlands

Think we missed Sweden.

I would say just south from Stockholm...

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

just south from Stockholm...
    That's pretty much it, yeah. Himmerfjärden, specifically. Grats goes to you, then Pasis.

Okay, time for an update. Tried a mountain type. A pseudo-photorealistic look on a parchment background? Not entirely sure if it works. Also some city blobs. Let's just call them placeholders.
    Compass rose, though? Yeah, satisfied with that one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP2.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	2.90 MB 
ID:	72277

Well, I was really hoping for some constructive feedback, but since there is none so far, I'll just go ahead and post another update. I must say, I'm beginning to like the mountain and forest looks less and less. I'm strongly considering scraping that whole style altogether and opting for icons, some that fit with the parchment texture. Yeah, that's probably what I'll do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP3.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	2.94 MB 
ID:	72452  

Banned User

Well, I'm kinda torn about this. In some ways, I really like it. I love the colors and the land shapes a lot. I think my problem is with the texture ... it just looks too much like an old wall, layers of plaster that have worn down and broken off, leaving a map. Sort of like those places where people see the Virgin Mary in the water stains Not sure this helps, and I don't want to sound negative, because I think there is a lot of potential here! And I do love the compass!

I for one really dig the mountains and the forests on this map. I'm not sure that i like the very grainy texture that much and i think the "sunrays" of the compass are too distracting. I'd be interested to see what you can do with this forest- and mountain-style on a more classical background.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

I'm not sure about the mountains but I really like the forests and find that this texture is conveying a particular and interesting feel.

It looks like a map woven into a tapestry. The forest is awesome. The mountains are really good too. I dislike the labels. Too bright and sharp. Otherwise I really really like this map.

Another version. Slight tweaks. The plan is still to do icon mountains and forests, instead of these top-down placeholders. I still don't think they fit in with the parchment style of the map. But even though I've scoured the webs and CG for suitable icons, I've yet to find any I like for this style. And even though I seem to get a lot of praise for my maps, my skills are woefully lacking in the actual drawing department, so I can't make icons myself that are even halfway decent. So I'll go back to looking even harder on the web, I guess...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP4.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	2.74 MB 
ID:	72662

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast