Thread: Kingmaker regional map

Wip Kingmaker regional map

A map I started as a sketch that I am turning into a larger map. I am used to hand drawing maps and going to computer is a bit of trial and error.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sketch.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	72451

This is the original sketch

This is based on the big map of their world not the module so the position of elements is different than the campaign setting

This is a work in progress

Name:	region-wide-full.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	911.9 KB 
ID:	72450

i am still figuring things out. Not sure if photoshop or illustrator is the right tool to use to get the trees since photoshop doesn't do do full color trees or stamps of any kind.

Banned User

Nice sketch! I suspect once you get photoshop under control, you'll do wonders with it

Photoshop has a nice "clone stamp" tool that I use a lot for full color such as trees. I'm sure you can find a tutorial for it on the web. I just make a few and save them, then when I want them, I clone stamp them into the map. This is an example of a map where I used the clone stamp for trees: http://www.cartographersguild.com/al...chmentid=71042

I'll try it out. Hadn't thought of it. So I paint a bunch of trees then clone them into clusters and finally a forest. So do you keep a layer of elements to clone in your projects your map looks great.

Banned User

Not as extensive as you make it sound. That particular map was a style that was new for me, so I drew six tree shapes, then put three different color layers (dark green, light green, brownish) under them and used the clone stamp on that. So there are 18 different trees and that made unique forests all over the map. I didn't make clusters, each tree was stamped individually (although as I remember, the client wanted one more forest at the last moment, so I think I did one section of copy/paste). I rarely reuse hand-drawn elements from one map to the next, but I might use those again some day. There are lots of photoshop brushes available for trees and mountains and hills, too, and you can use those to create unique shaded/colored elements, and then stamp them onto your map.

Ah okay. I'll keep that in mind. I picked up a few of the brushes but decided to draw the mountains then bring them into photoshop to make stamps out of them.

Banned User

I'm looking forward to seeing how that works for you

Name:	region-wide-full2.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	72838

So I finally did a pile of drawings and brought them in and they didn't work out the way I wanted. I decided before I do any more art I better figure out how to use the existing stamp brush then try to make my own. This is with the mountains in. From seeing this I can definitely say my original scale was off and I hadn't made enough smaller pieces to transition from plains to mountains. I am still going to go back and do some coloring. Also want to redo some of the water.