Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WIP- Adding Teutonic Plates!!

Guild Apprentice

Alright, I'll give that a shot tomorrow (or maybe the day after or over both) I want to avoid doing work anyway

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ascanius View Post
    Yup if you want to do tectonics you need to do the tectonics for the entire planet. The tectonics in one region have implications across the globe. Give it a try, make a rough tectonic map of your entire world and see how it goes.
    A map really doesn't work for this. The way plate movement works when projected is highly unintuitive. To have a chance of getting it even close to right, you pretty much need a physical globe, or special software like GPlates.

Quote Originally Posted by Hai-Etlik View Post
    A map really doesn't work for this. The way plate movement works when projected is highly unintuitive. To have a chance of getting it even close to right, you pretty much need a physical globe, or special software like GPlates.
    I used GPlates. I started with a rectangular map, then changed the projection to get the poles and lastly plugged it into Gplates and and made a bunch of changes and tweaks.

Guild Apprentice

How complex is Gplates? (It is free right?)
    I was going to start by putting it onto a equirectangular projection and then work out other projections from there. I don't have access to any drawable ball unfourtunatly

Guild Apprentice

Okay well I've tried doing that and realised I have hardly any land on my planet! I've doubtlessly done this wrong and I think I can see some obvious faults. I did a little bit more research myself (I've actually done quite a bit, it just doesn't seem to show ) and got completely confused about the idea of plates joining together D:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Plates.png 
Views:	64 
Size:	2.01 MB 
ID:	72335

Please tell me I've done atleast 1 thing right.
    One thing for hope (i hope) is that I have, very, large parts of the globe completely un accounted for in my mind so hopefully that can be used!

P.S. Should I just edit my post before this one or make a new post when adding things but no one else has commeneted? What's the forum etiquette?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Plates.png 
Views:	57 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	72334  

http://davidson16807.github.io/tectonics.js/ I found a web browser tectonic plates simulator thing.

Guild Apprentice

That looks complicated, though admittadly putting it to speed 99 was fun

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123