Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Home-brew Campaign Setting Map

Blog Entries

Well poop! I just noticed the bottom most layer has some masking issues.... so there are still a few places that have some rough edges. I'll touch that up in a few.
    Last edited by wthrasherb; 03-30-2015 at 11:04 AM. Reason: typo corretion

Banned User

Definitely better. I'd suggest two more things you can try.

1. Kill the bevel entirely and replace it with an Inner Glow of dark brown that fades inward on the land.

2. Another way to smooth something is as follows. This will definitely eliminate small islands if you do the smoothing bigger than the island, though. In fact, I use it to get rid of tiny stuff I don't want.

Select your land area. Use Select>Modify>Contract for a few pixels. Then use Select>Modify>Expand for the same number of pixels. If that doesn't help, try it using a small amount of Feathering as well. That can smooth out ragged edges, and eliminate regions that are smaller than the number of pixels you use.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    Definitely better. I'd suggest two more things you can try.

1. Kill the bevel entirely and replace it with an Inner Glow of dark brown that fades inward on the land.

2. Another way to smooth something is as follows. This will definitely eliminate small islands if you do the smoothing bigger than the island, though. In fact, I use it to get rid of tiny stuff I don't want.

Select your land area. Use Select>Modify>Contract for a few pixels. Then use Select>Modify>Expand for the same number of pixels. If that doesn't help, try it using a small amount of Feathering as well. That can smooth out ragged edges, and eliminate regions that are smaller than the number of pixels you use.
    That's actually what I did already. I used expand and contract and feather and smooth variations. I think it worked MOSTLY, but then I found a layer with the same mask only inverted and it misses a few spots for some reason. I'll keep working on it.

As for the bevel and inner glow. I'll try it without the bevel, but I personally like just a little hint of the land being raised. The inner glow I already have, but it's more of a golden color. I will try some darker shades and see what happens. Thanks for the tips!

Blog Entries

Just a quick drop off of an update...

No bevel, darker inner glow on the land, fixed a couple of spots around some shore lines that didn't get smoothed out as well, and touched up the rivers just a pinch.

suggest/comment/critique away!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WORLD_Map_06_corrections.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	3.23 MB 
ID:	72249

Blog Entries

Just noticed that you could see a pattern in the ocean background on my last post. The pattern is supposed to be there, but it is supposed to be more subtle. I some how altered it between my first post and this one, and I preferred more of the look in the first post for the water. So I added some noise and toned down some blurring on the ocean. that is the only change for this post.

Name:	WORLD_Map_06_corrections_02.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	2.60 MB 
ID:	72250

Banned User

Now it's starting to look pretty nice!

What's next?

Well, what I meant was, and if it was me, I might try adding some washed out greens in a few places. Although I'm really bad about trying to add in too much detail. But even if you leave it and just label what you have it looks really good.

Blog Entries

@chick thanks man! And I REALLY appreciate the tips. My other world map needs some similar fixes. As for what's next.... not sure. I'm gonna take a look at trying some subtle coloring to HINT at vegetation/terrain variation like RevGunn is talking about. Also I'm going to start looking for some fonts, oh and pseudo-nav lines. I say "pseudo" because I don't actually know much about them or how they were used, so I'm just gonna make something that looks cool until one of the hardcore cartography buffs on here educates/corrects me or until I'm curious enough to research it myself.

@RevGunn, I'm gonna give your idea a try, but I'm trying to keep it subtle still.

Time for class! Gotta go...

Thanks folks for the comments and feedback, I'm very grateful.

Blog Entries

Ok, before I go too far with trying out various ways to add some POTENTIAL color to this map I was hoping to get some thoughts on how the tiny bit of color looks so far.

I want to be clear that I'm not sure I'm going to add color based on terrain. I'm thinking about going with political/regional boarders or something. Not really sure. I didn't put a lot of thought into this map before I started making it.

The only color I've added is on the north western landmass and just a hint of color in the arctic regions of the north eastern landmass. The two maps posted here are the same except one has slightly softer looking rivers.

Any feedback on the coloring would be awesome. I'm also open to suggestion on any ideas on adding some subtle color. I'm not in love with what's on there right now. I'm going to bed and will see if I like it in the morning.

Name:	WORLD_Map_07.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	2.59 MB 
ID:	72264 softer rivers ----> Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WORLD_Map_07_softer_rivers.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	2.59 MB 
ID:	72265

The second map looks better but seeing it... I think no. Sorry. Was just a thought.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast