Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Home-brew Campaign Setting Map

The combination 45-47 is quite good in my eyes. It could be really nice with added/reinforced shadings and colors/textures. But of course, it depends completely of what style/use you want in the end .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    The combination 45-47 is quite good in my eyes. It could be really nice with added/reinforced shadings and colors/textures. But of course, it depends completely of what style/use you want in the end .
    Thanks for the feedback Ilanthar. I think you are right about the mountains being fine as they are. I was just trying to do something different, but I guess my style is just leaning more towards what I call "satellite" style mountains. Also, I'm getting impatient. I need to be spending more time on developing the campaign instead of making a pretty map that my players will probably look at for 2 seconds and say 'wow, that's cool.... let's go kill stuff'. LOL. I suffer from that 'perfectionism' disease... that's why I asked in a previous post how do you know when you are 'done'. I always seem to find SOMETHING to tweak, change, improve, or add to... UGH.

So I think this post is the "base" map I'm going with unless someone comes along and makes a irresistible suggestion. I say this, but typically, as soon as I post an update I tend to catch something I want to fix or change...

Now I'm going to start adding details and see what happens! Stay tuned!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EMPIRE_Region_06_d.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	4.25 MB 
ID:	72752

Blog Entries

Quick update on the world map.

No real changes since the last version I posted except I filled in actual continent names and adjusted some text stuff.

This campaign setting is being made up as I go, so the continent names are potentially subject to change in the future. I'm developing the setting from the perspective of the people that live in the small area of land that connects North Atlantea and South Atlantea, so the "known world" may not extend to the other continents in the current time period. I labeled the map and laid out the continents more for my sake than anything. Again, I'm making this stuff up piece by piece. I'm trying to flesh out some details today and over the weekend.

So TECHNICALLY, I'm "finished" with this WORLD map, but I'm using this thread to develop maps for the campaign overall, so I'm just going to keep posting maps related to this setting in this one thread... unless mods decide otherwise I guess.

Welcome to the world of Mythrengard everybody!

Name:	World_of_Mythrengard.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	3.48 MB 
ID:	72754

Usually I don't like these kind of maps, however, this really has a nice edge to it. Keep up the good work!

Oh, and I have to mention the compass rose. It's absolutely stunning. Especially the center part.

Cheers,
    Tainotim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tainotim View Post
    Usually I don't like these kind of maps, however, this really has a nice edge to it. Keep up the good work!

Oh, and I have to mention the compass rose. It's absolutely stunning. Especially the center part.

Cheers,
    Tainotim
    Thanks! I appreciate the feedback. I had fun with the compass. I had never drawn a fancy one by hand before. On most of my old hand drawn maps back in the day I usually did just a simple one-sided arrow with an 'N' above it or something else equally simple. I'm glad you like it!

You mentioned you don't typically like "these kind of maps"... what do you mean exactly? I like to hear opinions on both sides of an arguement. I want to know what people find appealing and what they don't. So, even though you said this map is an exception to your typical preference, could you elaborate for crticisms sake what you don't TYPICALLY like?

Thanks again for taking the time to comment!

Sure thing! What I mean isn't that deep thought. I guess you could call it the "atlas" style, the kind of geographic style that is standard in both modern and older(not to old) atlas books. Personally, my mapping interest is devoted almost only to more illustrative fantasy style maps. However, on rare occasion I find this more contemporary/antique blend to my liking

Cheers,
    Tainotim

Tainotim, I agree with your sentiments above. My usual preference is also for fantasy maps or the hand-drawn style. In this case however, I think wthrasherb has managed to 'straddle the divide', so to speak Although this map has atlas style features, I think the colours, fonts and grungy texture gives it more of a fantasy feel. That's my impression, at any rate. I think it works incredibly well and looks great.

Great work, wthrasherb!

Blog Entries

Wow! Thanks folks. Words can't fully express how excited it makes me to hear that someone likes my work. I sincerely appreciate y'all taking the time to comment.

Regardless of style preference, that combo "atlas" geographic/fantasy look is exactly what I was going for so I guess mission accomplished then... lol

I also like more illustrated fantasy styles. My hand drawn style I've always used growing up was very simple and functional. I'll see if I can find some old maps and I'll scan in some examples. Now I'm interested in doing professional work so I've spent the last 2 years teaching myself how to make digital maps and digital artwork in general. I'm a "world builder", so my focus isn't just on the map itself. Until this year when I started posting on here I've never made anything to be seen beyond a gaming group or local friends. It's really nice to be received so well with some of my first public works. Thanks again.

Blog Entries

Picking up where I left off in post #52 with the region map, I have decided to go a whole different direction. I was wanting to do this map with map icons/symbols for the mountains and some of the terrain. I want this map to have more of a rpg map look to it.

I just started this today and haven't made it very far yet. The mountains are from the DeRust Campaign Cartographer annual pack and the coloring and textures are all a blend of my own and some Campaign Cartographer bitmap fills. All the work has been done in Photoshop.

All feedback is welcome!

Name:	The_Empire.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	4.42 MB 
ID:	72928

More to come...

Blog Entries

Slowly but surely I'm developing this map and the world in general. I've finished the mountains.

Name:	The_Empire_update.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	2.89 MB 
ID:	73024

EDIT:

Correction! I have not finished the mountains entirely... the mountains that are there already are finished (might add a touch of snow to some peaks... not sure), but I am thinking about adding a solitary peak ( a "lonely mountain" if you will) just south of the mountains near the center of the map, somewhere in the southern parts of that forest. This peak is most likely going to serve as "White Plume Mountain" (or at least my homage variation).
    Last edited by wthrasherb; 04-27-2015 at 10:58 PM.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast