Thread: How do I turn off variable pressure for the airbrush in GIMP?

Default How do I turn off variable pressure for the airbrush in GIMP?

Done searches here and elsewhere, tried to figure it out but can't. I've found some great brushes to use for my map but the whole variable pressure thing is just plain odd. I want something more akin to just stamping it and it being the same whether I hold the mouse button down or not. I'd like it to simply be the same image as what I see in the brushes window, no darker, lighter, thicker, etc.

If I'm understanding you properly, I think you need to turn brush dynamics off. There's more info here:

http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-tool-dynamics.html

Basically, click on the dynamics box in the brush tool palette, and scroll through the list until you get to 'Dynamics Off'. Hopefully that'll fix your problem.

Thanks but I tried that and it didn't change anything.

Basically the default setting of the brush is that if you just click it once, quickly, it prints the brush very lightly, like 50% of the original brush image thickness, opacity, etc. If you hold the mouse button down, though, it continues to get thicker and thicker until it reaches a maximum which seems to be far darker and thicker than the base image of the brush.

What I'd like to do is like how AutoREALM works where I just stamp stuff all over the place one click at a time.

Huh, that's odd. I guess it must be something related to that particular brush.

You could maybe try the Clone tool for stamping? Use your brush until you've painted a shape that's the size and thickness you want, then switch to the Clone tool. Control-click over the shape, then you should be able to stamp it elsewhere without it changing.