Thread: WANTED! Artist for post-concept map creation

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice

Post WANTED! Artist for post-concept map creation

Dear Artist,

I have been a fan of this great website for a while and all of the artists publishing their maps here do some really quite tremendous work.

Project:
    I’m seeking that talent to create a map for use in a fantasy adventure novel and later online use/companion website). The novel writing is nearing completion and a publisher is soon to be sought.

Design:
    The map would be of the main kingdom centred on the large city surrounded by significant mountain ranges, deserts, towns, farmlands, woodlands, rivers etc. (I am not at this stage wanting settlements depicted as more than a stylised icon, though I can foresee eventually seeking to produce a map of the large city itself.) It is a map focused on the old dying central kingdom, one large and ten small settlements, and to that end is not particularly great in scale.

I have two concept ideas for the map depending on artist’s skillset:

The first, and my preference, is a stylised colour cartographic map similar to the excellent work elsewhere on the cartographers website: (http://www.cartographersguild.com/co...fall-by-Obliro) or (http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...0&d=1311118144)

Alternatively, I have considered using instead a high quality black and white line drawing that could be reproduced easily in the actually body of the text as an illustration. Imagine a more simple version of the above and in black and white that you might discover nestled in the text of a hardback book, example here: (http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...9&d=1428439898)

I have detailed hand drawn sketches of the map and pictures that I can post and most of the ideas have been conceptualised, though this is of course scope for your own creativity. I can also provide the written detailed descriptions contained within the novel.

Technical Info:
    Image should be 2000x2000 px or higher so as to be suitable for viewing on the web, downscaling, or modification. (I understand this is typical for HD web images but I am open to be re-educated if I am incorrect)

Copyright:
    I would like the right to modify the image and redistribute the image in both the original or edited form for commercial purposes, online and published. Many of the name/concepts would come directly from the book so I would like to keep control over those elements.

Paid?:
    The simple truth is that, as much as I would wish to, at present I am unable to offer a fee and I am not unrealistic that, as a non-published author, the chances of a successful fantasy novel publication these days are slim. Ultimately this novel and map may be an exercise in non-profit creativity.

This project may be best suited to an aspiring artist as the reward is that I can offer is that if there is any success the artist would get their name on the credits of any work (if they wish it) and they can likewise add a link to their portfolio. I would be happy to write a reference and/or refer further work to you. Furthermore, and perhaps most attractively, is that if a publisher is secured I will certainly be seeking additional commisions (my aim was to have a number of map illustrations within the book and I have further novels planned). This additional work is likely to be paying, and you would be the first point of call.

Timescale:
    Flexible, months. This is a long term project.

Aim:
    As with the spirit of the website the purpose is to create a world from our imaginations and I am looking for someone to help me with this.

Thank you for your time reading this.

Please contact me if you are interested or wish for more information or by email:
    Justin.op.cook@btinternet.com

Guide Hand-drawn Maps:

overview of map sought
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Horologios and outlying region HD.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	73209
    zoomed, for added detail
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Horologios detailed HD.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	73210
    Last edited by Homestead; 05-07-2015 at 05:00 AM.