Thread: Book Maps.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Thanks ya'll ... I should have said that this one is 100% digital in PS .... didn't ink this, but the jungle brushes were drawn and scanned in, from my SEP entry as you might have noticed...

My favorite part of the map is the Volcano tho.... it really looks like it might be on fire...

It looks amazing! I love the hand drawn map style that is used for most book maps.
    The only thing I don't really care for is the compass thingy in the right corner.

What book are you working on anyway?

(Repped)

My wife and I are writers, and its our book... and so close to completion we can taste it! And then its off to the printers. We run our own publishing company, and this will be our first fantasy novel.... the first run is only going to be 500-1000 copies so its nothing huge... but hopefully it will be after it comes out!

The compass is actually the weapon the heroine uses in the book, which I drew in color and then converted to greyscale... A long hafted falchion named Leafgârd. Thanks for the compliment and the rep!

Quote Originally Posted by delgondahntelius View Post
    My wife and I are writers, and its our book... and so close to completion we can taste it! And then its off to the printers. We run our own publishing company, and this will be our first fantasy novel.... the first run is only going to be 500-1000 copies so its nothing huge... but hopefully it will be after it comes out!

The compass is actually the weapon the heroine uses in the book, which I drew in color and then converted to greyscale... A long hafted falchion named Leafgârd. Thanks for the compliment and the rep!
    Can you give short description what the book is about? I am writing a fantasy novel myself so I am very interested. And no, not to steal your ideas
    (finishing book 2 right now of the first trilogy - my book is in Dutch as that is my native language)

Also, how do you write a book with two people? I want to write a fantasy story with my fiancee as well, but I am not sure how to make it work. Do you both write different chapters or characters?

Oh, and congrats on your soon to make 1000th post
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 10-01-2008 at 04:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf View Post
    Can you give short description what the book is about? I am writing a fantasy novel myself so I am very interested. And no, not to steal your ideas
    (finishing book 2 right now of the first trilogy - my book is in Dutch as that is my native language)

Also, how do you write a book with two people? I want to write a fantasy story with my fiancee as well, but I am not sure how to make it work. Do you both write different chapters or characters?

Oh, and congrats on your soon to make 1000th post
    Let's see.... I've been sitting here for longer than I need to, trying to write a short summary. BUT I CAN'T!!! ... there is just so much I want to go into. SOOO, I will get my wife to write one up, she's the one in charge of writing a summary anyway for the back cover, this will give her a reason to get motivated about it. Fair enough? I think I'd just muck it up and give away too much.

As for writing together. The world was my little brain child... the gods, the places, the races. My campaign world for the last 23 years with enough history and color to choke a bull wyvern. She wrote a fantasy romance novel based on this world. When it was evident that we were going to be able to publish a book, this is the story we chose. Originally it was just going to be her name on the book, but after the process of editing and rewriting, I had put so much of my style in it as well, it became a joint effort.

Funny thing is, I never thought I would be able to write with someone else, but the more we worked together, the better it got. I pretty much write all the scenes that involve battle and action, she writes the rest. For this book, I've written the prologue and several chapters involving side characters.

It's kinda hard to explain how we do it. We work best though in the editing process... I read the story and she edits as I prattle on.

?? make any sense at all?

Writing a good, short summary for a back cover takes skill, so I am very interested to see the result

So your stories are taking place in a campaign world you have been adding to for 23 years. That's certainly going to add depth to the stories. Sometimes I read a novel and can't get rid of the feeling the world seems slapped together. With a world you have been working on for so long this shouldn't be a problem. The actual problem might be you have some much information you want to share with your reader the story gets bogged down

As for writing the book together: yes, your way makes sense. What I have discussed with my fiancee is something similar. But with me doing the editing as my grasp of (the Dutch) language is superior to hers (not to mention I have been an editor for a couple of years

I am interested to see where you are going with those new WIP.