Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: April / May 2015 Lite Challenge: Never Never Land

I like both the original border and the new coloured one. I can't decide which is best. I think I'd need to see more features on the map before I commit. If there are a lot of brightly coloured elements, then a neutral border might be better. Not sure yet.

Skull island is my new favourite thing! I also love the little mermaid.

Have to second the comment that the mountain is very dominant at the moment, but I'm waiting to see what appears in the surrounding area. I will say it's well drawn and looks good, so I'm looking forward to seeing what you do next.

Banned User

Neverpeak Mountain is the huge mountain that is right in the middle of Neverland. According to Peter Pan in Scarlet, when a child is on top of Neverpeak Mountain, he or she can see over anyone and anything and can see beyond belief. Peter Pan in Scarlet is a novel by Geraldine McCaughrean. It is marketed as the "official sequel" to J. M. Barrie's Peter and Wendy (1911), authorised by Great Ormond Street Hospital, to whom Barrie granted all rights to the character and original writings in 1929.

Banned User

I've added the Neverwood, but I'm not sure if I'll keep it exactly like this. I can't decide if it's too dense, or perhaps too big, so comments welcome.

Is this border any better?
    @bogie .... I'm not sure what you were seeing as "artifacts" but I did some tweaking and also found some stray marks I cleaned up, so if you can still see whatever you saw before, I'd appreciate knowing where it is.

On the other hand, I have absolutely no idea how I'm going to do Pixie Hollow or the Maze of Regrets .....

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NeverNeverLand C.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	72858

Cheers,
    Cornelia

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected JefBT's Avatar

This is getting better. I love your trees.

The new Border is even better but I still see the same artifact, maybe a little less.
    In this sample the bottom border is the original and has the cleanest edge on the top of the curve. The newest border is the one on the top and it has some dark fuzzy effect at the top of the curve. The middle Middle red border has the greatest amount of the effect. This is very minor, but it seems to grab my visual fixation.

Name:	Border artifact.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	72877

And I like the forest as it is.
    Last edited by Bogie; 04-21-2015 at 06:45 PM.

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    The new Border is even better but I still see the same artifact, maybe a little less.
    In this sample the bottom border is the original and has the cleanest edge on the top of the curve. The newest border is the one on the top and it has some dark fuzzy effect at the top of the curve. The middle Middle red border has the greatest amount of the effect. This is very minor, but it seems to grab my visual fixation.
    And I like the forest as it is.
    That seems to be an artifact of the compression. I cannot see it at all in the PS size I'm working. Here is a zoomed in piece at the high resolution and size as I see it:

Name:	Test 1.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	72880

This is reduced to half size, and it begins to show:

Name:	Test 2.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	3.34 MB 
ID:	72881

So I'm not sure I can do much about it for the size I need to use to post here.

Thank you for taking the trouble to show me what you meant!

I think you are right about it being the compression issue. There is an easy fix for it though. Don't compress so much. The latest WIP you posted is 2.1 MB, You can post up to about 4.3 MB so you can make the map bigger and use a lot less compression.

Has anyone noticed that every tipi has a different pattern and the pretty blonde mermaid is basting in the sun on Marooners' Rock? Well done chick!

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MstrWelf View Post
    Has anyone noticed that every tipi has a different pattern and the pretty blonde mermaid is basting in the sun on Marooners' Rock? Well done chick!
    Thanks for noticing I never know whether that much attention to detail at such a small level is worth the time. Glad to know that someone actually looked at it

Banned User

The deeper I dig into the Peter Pan story, the more I find out that it's not a single story. It seems like a King Arthur tale where so many people have written their own versions of it, making up whatever they thought it needed, that the original story is lost in the tangle.

So I've decided to stick with the original story, and not use any of the later variations such as Disney invented, at least as much as possible. This map now has the Barrie canon names, not the Disney ones. The only exception is Fairyhome, which is my own name for where Queen Mab's palace is that Barrie didn't name.

I have, however, decided to omit some of Barrie's locations that were pretty much irrelevant in the story, such as the hooked nosed lady's hut, the castle of the six elder brothers, and the town of gnome tailors, all mentioned but never visited in his stories. I've also decided not to include the Maze of Regrets, which is considered canon, but never actually visited in Barrie's works, only in a subsequent book by another author. I am keeping the Stars, since they were actual characters in Barrie's stories.

So, with that preamble, here is the latest version:

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	NeverNeverLand D.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	3.36 MB 
ID:	72982

The biggest job I have left is figuring out how to represent Fairyhome. According to Barrie, it was a gigantic tree, so I'll probably do something like that, if I can find a way to make it look fairyish

Comments and suggestions always welcome!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast