Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: April / May 2015 Lite Challenge: Never Never Land

Banned User

Default April / May 2015 Lite Challenge: Never Never Land

I decided to try something I've wanted to do since I was a kid and watched the original broadcast of the Broadway musical "Peter Pan" starring Mary Martin as Peter -- map Never Never Land.

Much of this map will be based on the original books by J. M. Barrie, The Little White Bird, Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens, and Peter Pan and Wendy. I have also added a few features from the Disney movie "Peter Pan", including Skull Island and Pixie Hollow, which did not exist in Barrie's works. Some other things, such as Crocodile Creek, were implied in Barrie's works but made explicit by Disney.

I chose a style that hopefully will appeal to the children in all of us who never want to grow up!

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NeverNeverLand A.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	72817

Comments and suggestions always welcome!

Cheers,
    Cornelia
    Last edited by Chick; 04-19-2015 at 10:09 AM.

Beautiful idea, and a great start to the map. Nothing really to say about it yet except it's looking good. I'm excited to see where you take it.

-IG

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Yep. I voted for this one. Wait, what?

This is going to be epic! What an amazing start, and a really appealing topic. You should probably contact whoever owns the rights to Peter Pan because I think this might be an integral part of the next iteration of the story. As in, they are going to NEED your map. I won't buy the book if they don't use your map.

The colours are perfect.

cheers,
    Meshon

Great start, and I definitely count myself amongst the adults who never really want to grow up!

I love this whole idea. I had half thought of suggesting something very similar as an idea for a future challenge. Basically, my idea was to take a fantasy map from a favourite book and rework it in some way (e.g. expand an area of the map, colour a B & W map, recreate an atlas style from a line art map etc.) I didn't actually go so far as suggesting it though, since 1) I wasn't sure if something similar had been done already, and 2) wasn't sure if there might be copyright issues, even though it's really just fan art. So, in light of that, I'm really happy to see someone take this idea and go with it. Although, I should ask ... is there an existing map of any kind from the Peter Pan books out there, or is this all your own thing, Chick? I have no clue!

Yes, this beautiful map totally appeals! I can only agree with the others, that its a great start. The border looks really wonderful but in my view the colours are a bit too similar to the ones on the landmass. I'll surely follow this WIP. Keep up the good work!

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Great start, and I definitely count myself amongst the adults who never really want to grow up!

I love this whole idea. ..... is there an existing map of any kind from the Peter Pan books out there, or is this all your own thing, Chick? I have no clue!
    There are some maps out there in cyberspace, but this one is all mine. I looked up some factual stuff about the original books and made a list of all the places in Barrie's works (leaving out a couple that were mostly irrelevant), then I looked at the Disney movie stuff and added a few from that. Then I drew an island and laid it out with all those places.

Banned User

Next step, mountains (and other various rocks), plus an indian village.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NeverNeverLand B.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	72837

Please feel free to critique! I do appreciate and listen and try to learn (and thanks to Abu Lafia for suggesting a more colorful border)!

Cheers,
    Cornelia

I like the changes. I love the skull. Personally, I'm not feeling the new border though. The other one seemed a little smoother, imo. I wonder what would happen if you just added a slight color adjustment layer to the first border rather than redoing it completely? Again, just my opinion.

Coming along nice Chick. I like both borders. I prefer the colored one, except that it has little edge artifacts (for lack of a better term) that distract my eye.

Fantastic idea chick! I guess a lot of us will have only seen the movie(s) and not read the books so you might see yourself fighting against the pictures Disney Company ingrained in our brains (along with so many other cliches). Still, I try to stay open-minded and wait what you come up with.
    One thing though I dare to criticize is the size of the mountain; either you surround it by some smaller hills or just reduce the height? Or it will just fit in nicely once you flesh your map out
    Good luck chick and I will watch your progress closely!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast