Thread: Hedge Maze

Guild Adept Guild Sponsor

Map Hedge Maze

Here's a hedge maze. Photoshop with CGtextures material.

Gridless:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hedge-maze.jpg 
Views:	696 
Size:	4.66 MB 
ID:	72873

100px grid:

Name:	hedge-maze-100px-grid.jpg 
Views:	421 
Size:	4.75 MB 
ID:	72874

50px grid:

Name:	hedge-maze-50px-grid.jpg 
Views:	607 
Size:	4.24 MB 
ID:	72875

It was initially designed for a 100px grid, but I decided I liked 50px better. It allows more maneuvering room in the narrow lanes.

This looks really good!

Banned User

Very cool!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Wow, really nice! Oh darn, I'm already lost. While I'm finding my way outta here, I might suggest adding a bit of roughness to the edges of the hedge walls? My compliments to the arborist, but it might look more leafy. You could try stroking the transparency selection of the hedge wall layer with a small, jittery, grunge brush. If that doesn't make any sense, let me know

cheers,
    Meshon

Nice maze, I may spring that on my players.

wow I like that a lot. Definitely add some more shading to the interior walls. Those kind of hedges are quite dark. Perhaps add some benches to sit on or other garden sculptures.

One thing to give it a more natural feel would be to put your texture as a brush and use a rough sided brush. The easiest way would be to use some filters like distort. Or just use some shading effects by masking layers. A hedge is going to have a lot of tonal variation which is hard to get with just one texture.

Guild Adept Guild Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Meshon
    You could try stroking the transparency selection of the hedge wall layer with a small, jittery, grunge brush.
    Oo, that's a good technique! I never knew you could do that, but I found a tutorial on stroking a path with a brush that was simple enough to adapt to this purpose.

Here are revised maps:

Gridless

Name:	hedge-maze-rev2.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	4.63 MB 
ID:	72921

50px grid

Name:	hedge-maze-rev2-50px-grid.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	3.62 MB 
ID:	72923

100px grid

Name:	hedge-maze-rev2-100px-grid.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	4.71 MB 
ID:	72922

In addition to roughing up the edges of the hedges, I darkened the shadows a good bit, as suggested by zeichen. The original had 2 shadow layers, like this:

flood-filled #002063
    mode: multiply
    opacity: 16% for large soft shadows, 32% for sharper, darker shadows near the base of the walls

The revised version has three shadow layers. The two existing one both got increased by 16% opacity to 32% and 48%, then I added a third shadow layer at 16% opacity and put in some even larger soft shadows.

I forbore to add statuary or benches. They weren't needed for my game, and anyway that's a fairly easy mod to make if anyone needs such a thing.

that really does look better. I do like Meshons trick for stroking the path. I need to look into that more. It opens up a lot of possibilities and definitely saves production time.

Using Meshon's cobblestone path technique would be cool in there also. Match the path with cobblestones instead of grass floor would look really cool.

Really inspirational piece you made. Thanks again for sharing.