Thread: Post-Apocalyptic Southern California

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Wip Post-Apocalyptic Southern California

Welcome to my first iteration of a regional map for a post-apocalyptic Southern California setting.

This map is more of player handout and background information than for the GM's eyes only, so I've tried to include as much information as simply as possible. The focus of the campaign is in The Angels, but players and NPC might have ties to other areas, so I want to have an idea of what is going on across the region. Next on the agenda is the GM's version of this map with the behind the scenes detail of what's going on.

I started off trying for something that felt hand drawn but as I worked I started getting more of a "comic book" feel from the map, so I went with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LA Burns Hinterlands 1.0.jpg 
Views:	421 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	73111  

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Nice map. My main objection is that I don't think 50 years (2 generations at most) are enough to forget town names, especially considering they'll be on road signs etc all over the place. Minor issue though.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Honestly, you're right. Placenames tend to stick around forever...just look at all the French town names in the Central USA (Detroit, Champaign, St. Louis, etc) despite the very short period that the French actually controlled the area.

I was trying to add a bit of an apocalyptic feel. Since I'm working with real-life places I thought it needed a little something to differentiate it from real life Southern California. Most of the names I used were slang terms that locals supposedly use for their town (according to Urban Dictionary, anyway).

I am going to think on that 50 years number. The setting is supposed to be post-literate, and after anyone would have a good idea of what actually happened in "The Great Cleansing". So 75 or 100 years might be more appropriate. I just don't want to go TOO long, since I want relics of the past to feasibly still be salvageable.

The answer is probably something along the lines of "No one knows exactly how long ago it was, but there are a few very old people that have faint memories."