Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cloak and Coins - fantasy maps set commission

Damn! If Diamond doesn't eat your brain entirely, I gladly would have the crumbs . Fantastic set - Max-.

Are we eating brains? Should I get in line?

Great maps indeed, and I'm sure 98% of the skill and talent involved is beyond my ability to perceive. One detail I especially like is the set of cliffs around the northern edge of the Bay of Sûl.

Speaking of names, I notice a number of names seem to have Portuguese overtones, such as Santodouro and Tavira, and of course Santarem. Was this intentional on the part of the clients?

Also, love the…devices? Thingies? --in the corners of the maps, very cool indeed.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Thanks for all the comments guys ! But please, leave my brain alone

Quote Originally Posted by tainotim View Post
    However, I must say, the parchment thing you have outside the frame looks kind of strange. Compared to your otherwise sharp style I can't really tell what it is.
    Cheers,
    Tainotim
    Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    However I must agree with Tainotim's remark about the parchment. Otherwise wonderful job.
    Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    I do agree on the parchment. It doesn't seem up to your standards.
    I've commented before on other parchment backgrounds you've done that were fabulous.
    This seems sort of hazy... out of focus, maybe... what was your motivation for the parchment?
    The rest of the maps are crisp and sharp and the parchment being hazy/blurry is what makes it stand out I think.
    Hmm yes I guess the blurry edges were'n t probably the best choice here. Sharper outline wuld probably have been more consistent with the rest of the maps. Thanks for the critics guys !

Quote Originally Posted by Sanderling View Post
    Speaking of names, I notice a number of names seem to have Portuguese overtones, such as Santodouro and Tavira, and of course Santarem. Was this intentional on the part of the clients?
    I can't really tell, like you guessed, names are from the client, not from me.

Guild Novice

Awesome,Awesome,Awesome map!
    what did you use to make it?
    just regular Photoshop or what?

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Braaaaaains... or maaaaaaps...

Awesome as usual, Max. I guess I'm the voice of dissent on the parchment; it actually kind of looks like cloth or lambskin or something, so it would naturally have a softer edge. But on the other hand, if the map was drawn on that kind of material, the map details themselves would be more blurry. But I still like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aren View Post
    Awesome,Awesome,Awesome map!
    what did you use to make it?
    just regular Photoshop or what?
    Yes, I'm using Photosop and a graphic tablet.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Braaaaaains... or maaaaaaps...

Awesome as usual, Max. I guess I'm the voice of dissent on the parchment; it actually kind of looks like cloth or lambskin or something, so it would naturally have a softer edge. But on the other hand, if the map was drawn on that kind of material, the map details themselves would be more blurry. But I still like it.
    Thanks D. Yea I agree that it could be some natural cloth/lambskin but indeed drawings on this should be different. Ah well... Anyway, the link between the map base material and the way the map is drawn on it is an interesting question. Might be some good Guild challenge idea

It's maps like this that make me want to eat my Photoshop so I will never shame the world of cartography with my own pathetic efforts ever again. Out of all the maps I've seen around the forums, I think yours are my favorite, Mr. Plasse. I love your coastlines and the colors you use. A beatiful piece, as always.

Thank you Kelleri for the kind words I don't believe there's is any shame in beginning and trying to practise/improve! Use the great ressources, inspiration and tutorials here at the Guild and I'm sure you will definitely see your work progressing. There's alot of helpful members always ready to give their advices and guidance in the WIP section

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

lovely maps, simple lines, beautiful colors - great work
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast