Thread: I have a feeling...

Post I have a feeling...

... that this will be the only thread that I get to use "Post" in the subject line . All other threads will probably be "Question", "WIP" and most often "Help!"

Now that that's clarified, hello! I'm excited to join. I was talking to a friend about this fantastic resource, and when I sent him the link, he told me that this was the exact same site that he was going to recommend to me - he'd just forgotten the name. Word gets around!

The work I see on this site is very inspiring. It was a little intimidating to post my first post over in the Regional/World Mapping forum, but I did it! I'm interested in map-making because I'd like it to support a story I'm writing, and a map makes the setting feel more alive. Please forgive my lack of geographic know-how. I'm learning, but I think my strength will be the artsy side. I enjoy painting and drawing in my spare time, and recently I've been getting better acquainted with my tablet.

I love antique maps . I saw a lot of those in Italy and they're just beautiful. I wished I could take them home.

I think that's about it for now!

Welcome to the Guild Rene! I joined this site at the end of 2013 and I look back at the maps I first started posting and I think they look like scribbles compared to the maps I am able to create now. I have learned so much here and everyone is encouraging, helpful, and supportive. I would encourage you to go to the tutorial section on this map I have learned a lot there and I know the same goes for a lot of other people.

Banned User

Hello Rene, welcome to the Guild!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Welcome to the Guild Rene, I'll be glad to see what you do as you get to be good friends with your tablet. I got a cheap one awhile back and I'm really enjoying it. And I probably use it for a tiny fraction of what I should do with it. There are a lot of amazing tutorials here, and lots of people with their hands on tablets, so you'll get great guidance. Jumping right in and posting a map is absolutely the way to go.

I just want to mention though, you sound like a really nice, humble, and respectful person so I'll ask that you not be too quiet here in the forums Just because you're new here doesn't mean your insights on other people's maps won't be welcome. Share your maps, share your experience, and enjoy your stay here! I look forward to you pointing out some grievous errors on my maps soon

cheers,
    Meshon

Welcome to the Guild Rene! Glad you decided to take the plunge.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Novice

Awesome, welcome to the guild!

Thanks for all the warm welcomes!

Quote Originally Posted by Domino44 View Post
    Welcome to the Guild Rene! I joined this site at the end of 2013 and I look back at the maps I first started posting and I think they look like scribbles compared to the maps I am able to create now. I have learned so much here and everyone is encouraging, helpful, and supportive. I would encourage you to go to the tutorial section on this map I have learned a lot there and I know the same goes for a lot of other people.
    I'll be sure to check out those tutorials . I bet it's a nice feeling to see improvement in your work and the work of others as the years go by.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshon View Post
    Welcome to the Guild Rene, I'll be glad to see what you do as you get to be good friends with your tablet. I got a cheap one awhile back and I'm really enjoying it. And I probably use it for a tiny fraction of what I should do with it. There are a lot of amazing tutorials here, and lots of people with their hands on tablets, so you'll get great guidance. Jumping right in and posting a map is absolutely the way to go.

I just want to mention though, you sound like a really nice, humble, and respectful person so I'll ask that you not be too quiet here in the forums Just because you're new here doesn't mean your insights on other people's maps won't be welcome. Share your maps, share your experience, and enjoy your stay here! I look forward to you pointing out some grievous errors on my maps soon

cheers,
    Meshon
    Aren't tablets the best? I still love traditional materials, but once you get used to the tablet it really speeds up the creative process. My favorite thing in the world has to be layers - changing parts without changing the whole thing. The perfectionist in me will probably never let me actually finish anything now...

Thanks for the encouragement on posting. I'll certainly try to give good feedback . It's only fair after getting a lot of good advice.

You made me think back to when I first joined and made my first post. I was tentative and unsure if I was going to be able to continue. Depending on how things went I was going to make my decision. Haha, that seems like forever ago, now I'm a CL but I have to say this is the best place ever. There are lots of encouraging helpful people and enough honest input that you will be improving for, well, I'm still improving.

I've always said I was more artist than cartographer and I didn't know much about map making. I've learned tons so I think you will love it here.

So welcome aboard!
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    You made me think back to when I first joined and made my first post. I was tentative and unsure if I was going to be able to continue. Depending on how things went I was going to make my decision. Haha, that seems like forever ago, now I'm a CL but I have to say this is the best place ever. There are lots of encouraging helpful people and enough honest input that you will be improving for, well, I'm still improving.

I've always said I was more artist than cartographer and I didn't know much about map making. I've learned tons so I think you will love it here.

So welcome aboard!
    Thanks, Jaxilon! It's funny how much people grow when they stick around long enough to learns the ins and outs. I feel like I've already learned a few things just lurking on threads and reading responses to questions.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

welcome to the guild - I'd say being an artist first is probably a bonus - then you just have to learn the technique but already have the artistry down. My own maps could often use some more artistic feel - I know from challenge experience that it can be hard to be up against the hand drawn maps as people do gravitate towards those
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise