Thread: Unique map design for use on leather armor

Guild Novice

Default Unique map design for use on leather armor

I make costumes professionally, a lot of it is leather armor for LARP/cosplay. I have a plain pauldron design that I would like to spice up with map imagery. There are three styles I want, so I may be looking for three artists. Depending on the success of the first design I may want to have further work done for other pieces of armor. Price is negotiable, I plan on using the design on edition of 70-100 pieces of armor over the next few years.

I will be carving the design into the leather by hand with woodcarving tools anf leather stamps. I can provide an example of the level of detail I can carve. The designs should be look precise and clean, but made with simplified linework.

The first style is classic nautical. Latitude lines, travel routes and compass roses are things I would like it to feature. I'm also fond of concentric lines around land masses.

The second map I'm interested in is an overworld fantasy map. For this one I'm looking for rough, stylistic strokes. I also have access to a small alphabetic stamp set so some text may be used to denote locations. Some elements I'm looking for are mountains, travel paths, and runes. The image in trying to invoke is a map that an adventurer may have crudely drawn out while exploring the territory.

The third style is a modern astronomical map. It can be founded in reality or completely of your invention. I'm looking for line-based artwork depicting heavenly bodies and their orbits, interstellar flight paths, etc. I would like it to look very scientific, with objects labeled in alphanumeric shorthand.

Thank you for taking the time to read this request. Sorry if it's an overload of information. If you're interested in working with me on any of these designs please email me at dustinclinton@gmail.com to receive the quickest response.
    I can find examples of what I'm looking for if you need a reference. I make custom artwork for a living so I know what your time is worth and I'm more than willing to compensate you appropriately.

Has this request been taken? If so please let me know and I will archive this thread.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Just sent the thread creator an email. Will let you know the results ASAP.

Banned User

I did the Nautical one. Offered to do the others, but got the impression that he had other people to do those.

I would love to see how the maps look engraved on the leather. I think that it is a cool project.