Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Map of the Planes (Redo)

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Does that arcane symbol fictional? As in, did you scribble it yourself? Or should I be recognizing some reference?

By Diamond
    No pressure. Just don't... mess it... up.
    I'll surely do my best! And you are fully authorized to scream "stop, you're messing it up!" when needed sir .

By Chashio
    Perhaps put some more dark tones on the trunks of the giant trees so they're a bit more legible? Maybe watch that the lighting direction is all the same, although I don't know if that's even an applicable thought for this map. Other than that it all looks good to me.
    Thanks Chashio! I'm struggling wit a lot of things and I'm just wondering if I should not rework the elements completely on computer (even if it's based on my hand drawn elements). That would be probably give it more unity. I'm not very good for light/shadows, but I'm applying kind of the same "treatment" for every planes.

By Fascist_Pink
    Does that arcane symbol fictional? As in, did you scribble it yourself? Or should I be recognizing some reference?
    Yes and no. It's based on the alchemical symbols for elements and some of the runes of Heroquest (though with different meanings). My planes are under six main influences or directions with their "primal" planes. All the planes in between are blend of two influences, with the special "elemental" directions which may split into four or six elements. You'll find an exemple below.

Here's just a test for getting the plane with roots better.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AT planes.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	166.1 KB 
ID:	73212

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Very sleek concept.

Thanks SK! I've worked of the waterfalls falling from some of the planes, and I believe I've found something satisfying. What do you think?

Name:	AT planes.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	73245

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

It's hard to tell without more detail above it to offset it, but it looks workable.

Well, yep, good point !

I'm trying to work digitally and largely trying (shamelessly ) to copy some of the fabulous mountains styles of some of famous guilders. So, here are the results, with or without the waterfalls... I'm quite happy with the mountains at big size, but I'm quite disappointed when I applied them on the planes... Probably too reduced in the end.

Name:	AT Planes.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	169.0 KB 
ID:	73250

Banned User

I wonder if you should scale your level of detail to the amount you need to reduce? Same mountains with less shading would look more shaded when the size is smaller.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    I wonder if you should scale your level of detail to the amount you need to reduce? Same mountains with less shading would look more shaded when the size is smaller.
    That's a really good point.

Thanks a lot Chick, that works pretty well I think!

Here's my result for two of the planes. I also tried myself with carpet forests and redid the giant trees.

Name:	AT Planes.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	73252

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Thanks a lot Chick, that works pretty well I think!

Here's my result for two of the planes. I also tried myself with carpet forests and redid the giant trees.
    Nice! Looks good

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast