Thread: Prakani Empire

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Map Prakani Empire

A small commissioned map.

Done in PS.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Prakani Empire.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	73187  

I bit too simple for my taste. I've seen you done far better maps than this one, but I suppose it serve its purpose and is intended to be just like this
    "That sounds... incredibly complicated, but there's no doubt the result is fantastic." /Diamond

Indeed. Very close to the reference style I was provided with. The setting is in development, too, so there might be some additions in the future.

Guild Apprentice

I like the simple style, makes it easy to see everything.
    Would you mind telling me how you did the mountains? I've been trying to get that style for a map I am working on, but I haven't managed to find a way other than drawing the lines by hand...

Quote Originally Posted by kimni View Post
    I like the simple style, makes it easy to see everything.
    Would you mind telling me how you did the mountains? I've been trying to get that style for a map I am working on, but I haven't managed to find a way other than drawing the lines by hand...
    I guess it's a directional brush in photoshop. Make a brush you like to use (like a line), then go to Brush --> Shape dynamics --> Angle Jitter--> Control: Direction
    I'm sure you can figure the rest out. If you want it perfectly smooth, make a path and then "stroke path" with the same brush.
    "That sounds... incredibly complicated, but there's no doubt the result is fantastic." /Diamond

Guild Apprentice

I have GIMP, not Photoshop, I don't think GIMP can do directional brushes... But thanks anyway. I'll find some other way.

Quote Originally Posted by Obbehobbe View Post
    I guess it's a directional brush in photoshop. Make a brush you like to use (like a line), then go to Brush --> Shape dynamics --> Angle Jitter--> Control: Direction
    I'm sure you can figure the rest out. If you want it perfectly smooth, make a path and then "stroke path" with the same brush.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by kimni View Post
    I have GIMP, not Photoshop, I don't think GIMP can do directional brushes... But thanks anyway. I'll find some other way.
    You could try Inkscape. It's a free vector program and can produce the same result.

Guild Apprentice

I'll try that, thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Sapiento View Post
    Indeed. Very close to the reference style I was provided with. The setting is in development, too, so there might be some additions in the future.
    Yup. This is my comission. Great job

I wanted my very simple map to look nicer and I did have a style in mind and this is was it. I actually redrew the rough map a few times and tried different styles and just stuck with the one I gave Saptiento.

The map is mostly blank because I haven't filled in the blanks too much. The novels set in this world tend to take place in the capital, Xuelition, so I didn't have any reason to. As a matter of fact, The Round Sea didn't exist until book two when I mentioned it. This map is meant for me to print out and put on my bulletin board. I'll add more places and then in hire Saptiento to add them to the map.

The whole of the Prakani Empire is about the same area as Scandanavia, only about four times larger. There are lotss to fill in. As a matter of fact, the third novel in the Thomas of Xuelition novels take place near the headwaters of the Kaveri. A whole new area to map!

If you want to check out my books, they are short novels and can be had for cheap:
    http://booktrope.com/book_authors/christopher-turkel/