Thread: Require tips and info on Commissions

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned User

Default Require tips and info on Commissions

Hello Guild.

I've only ever done one commission of a map. I know there are some of you here who make a living out of making maps and I am wondering if there are any tips you could provide. My main questions at the moment are pricing and the process.

I know pricing depends on style and detail and people pay more for popular artists. I've had requests for commissions, but I don't pretend to be yet at the level where people will pay lots. Is there a figure someone could give me that I should be aiming to charge? I don't want to ask for a price that will be over the top but I'm not sure it's a good idea to ask the client how much they'd be willing to pay. How much did you get/ask for when you first started offering commissions? My commission was £40 as that was what the client was willing to pay and it was two rather small maps.

If you send work in progress images so things can be changed, (which I imagine you do, I did so for my one completed commission), do you watermark them?

I have written up a guide on my website for anyone requesting a map and I'd be very grateful if someone could take a look at it and see if anything could be added or that needs to be changed. http://www.sarithus.com/contact-me/
    Last edited by Sarithus; 05-10-2015 at 07:37 AM.