Thread: World Map for new D&D Campaign

Default World Map for new D&D Campaign

Hi all,
    I've put together a new world map for a homebrew setting I am hoping to soon get the chance to use in a D&D game (just waiting to see if schedules sync up, but that's another story).

Anyway, as part of the backstory of the world, the four elements are having an increasing influence on the world itself. The biggest thing this means for the world map is floating islands. I'm pretty happy with my "main land", but not very satisfied with how the floating islands look.

Curious if anyone has ideas on how to better illustrate the floating islands. Honestly, open for any and all critique and ideas on this map though!

Thanks!

Without Floating Islands
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F2F Game No Islands.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	73279

With Floating Islands
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F2F Game Islands.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	73278

Guild Novice

Just a thought. Type floating island into google. It immediately comes up with numerous rocky upsidedown cone shaped examples, often with water cascading off from the rivers. This always seemed to me to be the most 'realistic' representation of a floating island. I believe this effect could be added by use of a layer solely for the rock. As my digital design skills arn't great id probably draw what i wanted by hand then scan it in and edit it in gimp.

You could always obscure them slightly with clouds for added effect

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

maybe some shadows far down below will help you achieve the effect of floating. Looks nice though.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Thanks for the feedback so far folks!

Homestead, I went off and did exactly what you suggest. Lot's of good floating island pics. Unfortunately, my problem is that they're all side views or 3/4 views. My world map is top down, so I kind of want my floating islands to be consistent. I've already broken that rule a little bit to do them as I have so far... and honestly it irks me.

Tilt - I'll definitely try some shadows on the "ground floor" and see if it helps!

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Not that my map is the same - but if it can help in any way take a look http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=15776
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Hmm that definitely gives me some ideas! Thanks!!