Thread: PS Refined region map from world map

Help PS Refined region map from world map

Hello all:

So I created a world map using a tutorial from a member here. The end result was pretty awesome. This map has multiple layers with multiple masks with multiple...

So, now I want to create a regional map from the world map without losing the different layers. Not sure if I am correct here, but I want the layers to stay so as I define the region "better", or "more", I will need these layers I think.

I have tried new layer masks, cutting, etc. No luck. I can crop it, but it is just a simple square. I could flatten it and make a shaped cut, but then lose my layers.

I guess what I am looking for is some help turning a world map into a regional one. Also, as you zoom in on the region, how to go about refining the coast, rivers, etc from a more pixelated state to a smooth highly defined one.

I am not sure if my intent comes through my clumsy explanation, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Esenjay

Banned User

Hi Esenjay,

From your description, it sounds like you are trying to take a portion of an existing PS map and zoom in, then add more to that region, am I right? It might help if you posted an example of what you are trying to do and what the problem with it is.

One thing that will always be a problem is that if your resolution on the large map is poor, then it will only get worse. So the first thing I would do is make sure the full sized map has a very high resolution, something like 600 dpi. Then you can zoom in a lot more before it becomes pixelated. Trying to smooth out pixelated lines is pretty tough.

Yes, I want to take an existing PS map, Kindari tutorial, with several layers and zoom into a specific region. I would like to keep layers, and add to the region with greater definition. Similar to when you zoom in an area on any mobile map app. I started with 1920 x 1080 at 300dpi.

I have not been able to even isolate the region in a good way to add to it. I have tried masks and cropping, but they are not working out...

Esenjay

Banned User

Start by enlarging the map to 4000 or so at 600 dpi. Then create a new file of the size you want for the zoomed in map. Then select all the layers of your original, right click, Duplicate Layers, and in the popup window, select the new file in Document and duplicate the layers into it.

Now with all layers selected in the new file, zoom the view to large so you can see all the edges of the layers outlined, then hold the SHIFT key while you move and resize the entire set of layers to have exactly what you want to show in the new file.

Once you have the region you want centered, do a CNTL-A to select the entire window, and Image>Crop to get rid of the excess.

Hi Esenjay, just wanted to let you know that I moved this to the "How do I" section since it seemed to fit more at home there.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh