Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Militia Headquarters - fantasy map commission

Thanks for the answer Max. Just what I was looking for

And to clarify, following Jaxilons post (as I'm the only one who's post could be considered against this map): I'm not in any way against this map, or how Max drew it. Rather, the reason for my question was professional curiosity concerning how other people feel about doing monetary work that closely resemble other peoples styles (due to personal reason stated above). And I definitely got my answer!

I don't intend to pass any judgment, and if I didn't state it enought above I think this map and the style is stunning. But for me enjoying art, and especially art that I love, is just as much about appreciation for the artists work and talents, as well as the process and thoughts behind them

I do hope that I didn't come across as to harsh in my above post.

Cheers,
    Tainotim
    Last edited by tainotim; 05-13-2015 at 12:28 PM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

No problem Tainotim. You could be "against" the map, that wouldn't be a problem for me. We all have different tastes and different ways to look at other people art/maps/whatever, I'm totally fine with it. I think we all cleared things up and expressed our thought and our questions on a subject that can be sensitive for artists, so that 's all good here.

Another nice one Max! Very clean, detailed and game-friendly at the same time.

I've been struggling how to reply to this post. Max's map is a great building map (can't rep it for usual max-map-deluge reasons).

I myself am a big fan of Steffan's style. I have borrowed his pattern and drawn several building plans in more or less the same style myself. But they have been my own work. I have been trying to create my own pattern with similar traits but different to Steffan's but that is only because I want to use an original pattern that is my own.

Anyway even using Steffan's pattern with permission and following his style, you still have to do the lion's share of the work yourself. Layout, design, details, linework, etc. But the Steffan building plan style is just really good so people will want to try and emulate it. Just like people try to emulate all good map styles. And eventually they'll put their own twist on it.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

If in not mistaken its also very much like Dyson Logos' hatching if that's the pattern you mean. I don't think he made it up either tho, I think it's an architectural thing but I'm not sure. I love Stephan's work, it's always so clean and perfect and I'm not trying to take away from him either.

Also, I actually wasnt trying to light you up tainotim so I'm sorry if it came across to you in that way.

It was just for a moment there I thought this was going to start spinning in a negative direction and I wanted to nip that if I could. This is hand drawn and so I admire it even if it is, exactly as intended, heavily influenced by another artists style. I'd love to see a whole book of these personally.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    I've been struggling how to reply to this post. Max's map is a great building map (can't rep it for usual max-map-deluge reasons).

I myself am a big fan of Steffan's style. I have borrowed his pattern and drawn several building plans in more or less the same style myself. But they have been my own work. I have been trying to create my own pattern with similar traits but different to Steffan's but that is only because I want to use an original pattern that is my own.
    I've also been playing around with such a pattern, just to see if I could come up with something as attractive and yet quite different. Not that I do a lot of building walls, it's just a challenge .... Steffen does such great work!

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    Anyway even using Steffan's pattern with permission and following his style, you still have to do the lion's share of the work yourself. Layout, design, details, linework, etc. But the Steffan building plan style is just really good so people will want to try and emulate it. Just like people try to emulate all good map styles. And eventually they'll put their own twist on it.
    Isn't that one of the ways apprentices in historical times learned their art -- copying paintings done by the earlier masters?
    http://arthistoryresources.net/renai...ce-artist.html
    http://comfortpit.com/drawing-exerci...ardo-da-vinci/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12