Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Militia Headquarters - fantasy map commission

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Map Militia Headquarters - fantasy map commission

Hi all,

This map is a commission I've made for the french RPG Wastburg. I've emulated the awesome Steffen Brand's style here (with his permission- Thanks for that Steffen!) and it was a fun map to do The map depicts the headquarters of a militia who has recently settled in a big mansion of the city.

© Les XII Singes 2015 - All rights reserved.

Hope you'll like it. As usual, feel free to rate, rep or run away

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QG Milice.jpg 
Views:	423 
Size:	953.3 KB 
ID:	73319
    Last edited by - Max -; 05-12-2015 at 02:30 PM.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Mateus090985's Avatar

Excelent map. I still cannot rep you, but let me express my will to do it =)

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looks great Max - love the hatching
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

The map is stunning, however, even though Steffen Brand gave you permission I feel conflicted whether to praise or shun it. This is so much like his style, that it looks more like a copy paste, then a inspired emulation. Which, wouldn't matter for a private map – but for a commercial commission I really don't know what to feel about it, as it becomes something more than a demonstration of appraisal. But, each to his own!

Out of curiosity I wonder, as the artist for this fine map, is this close resemblance something you feel comfortable with? Or have you been hesitant towards using it, as you have your own styles for this kind of map that are just as neat. Oh, and please understand me right, I don't mean to criticise or bring negativity to this splendid map – but I personally am very conflicted when it comes to using other peoples map tools or styles for monetary gain. Especially when it's something unique like this specific style.

Cheers,
    Tainotim

Thanks Guys.

Quote Originally Posted by tainotim View Post
    The map is stunning, however, even though Steffen Brand gave you permission I feel conflicted whether to praise or shun it. This is so much like his style, that it looks more like a copy paste, then a inspired emulation. Which, wouldn't matter for a private map – but for a commercial commission I really don't know what to feel about it, as it becomes something more than a demonstration of appraisal. But, each to his own!

Out of curiosity I wonder, as the artist for this fine map, is this close resemblance something you feel comfortable with? Or have you been hesitant towards using it, as you have your own styles for this kind of map that are just as neat. Oh, and please understand me right, I don't mean to criticise or bring negativity to this splendid map – but I personally am very conflicted when it comes to using other peoples map tools or styles for monetary gain. Especially when it's something unique like this specific style.

Cheers,
    Tainotim
    I can see your point here Tainotim, so let me clear things up a bit
    Because it was a commercial commission, I e-mailed Steffen, a cartographer that I respect and admire his works to check his permission to use use an emulated style of him. He agreed and said the map was nice You've probably saw I don't really use other people stuff/tools on my maps usually, for personal or commercial maps. Indeed I could have made this map in many other styles but I feel comfortable with it since It's a one shot exercise and I consider it rather some sort of "a tribute to" than anything else.
    Last edited by - Max -; 05-12-2015 at 03:58 PM.

Professional Artist SteffenBrand's Avatar

I like it, -Max- really summed up all the feels and details I usually go for. =) If I'd have a problem of people testing this kind of style to see what works for them and learn something from it, I'd hardly share my process in the thread. I saw a lot of people trying to do this the way I do (and I'm still stunned about this, the gesture was so fulfilling) and seeing -Max- do this as a one-shot (as he said, we mutually admire each others work) isn't a problem. =)

Especially when it's something unique like this specific style.
    Kind of a shoutout here, thanks tainotim! =)

I'd rep you, but every time I want to - nope, can't
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Banned User

I think it's really great that someone can try out a style that another has posted, especially for a commission map, and not be accused of plagiarism by something like "the bottom right corner of your map" looks like "too much inspiration" by one of mine.

I find an amazing amount of inspiration here on CG and I have learned a huge amount by looking at how others do things and then trying them out. It's amazing how most people are perfectly comfortable and even encouraging about that!

Thanks, SteffenBrand!! I love your attitude and you get the rep for this one!

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    I think it's really great that someone can try out a style that another has posted, especially for a commission map, and not be accused of plagiarism by something like "the bottom right corner of your map" looks like "too much inspiration" by one of mine.
    I totally agree with you. Trying out a style that someone posted when he friendly gave you the permission to do so is indeed very different than plagiarism.
    Last edited by - Max -; 05-13-2015 at 10:27 AM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    I totally agree with you. Trying out a style that someone posted when he friendly gave you the permission to do so is indeed very different than plagiarism.
    Quoted for truth. Especially since this particular map doesn't have the same layout as any Brand map I've seen and only draws inspiration from the style. It doesn't have, say, mountains and islands in almost identical positions.

This looks great but are you guys kidding me?

Drew Struzan, early in his career was asked if he could make a poster like Rockwell from the Saturday Evening Post. He is considered to be the best movie poster illustrater and is praised for being able to do that.

This is not a copy of someone's image this was drawn by Max's own hand. They say to not copy someone else's style however if that is something you've been asked to do you can do it. There is no copyright on a style, thre is copyright on images. The reason they say not to copy someone else's style is because you usually will not do it as well. so if you can do it as well or better more power to you.

Max didn't have to ask to make an image that nods it's head to Steffen's work but he did. Personally I think it looks great and I totally see Steffens influence but not a copy

Lighten up and enjoy the art this isn't a tracing of someone else's work its a complement.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast