Guild Adept Guild Sponsor

Wip Sewer with cavern

Bah!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bookmaker-Caverns-rev1.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	2.52 MB 
ID:	73329

This is not quite gelling for me. It's the bridges. They're too flat. Also too clean. They should be grimy with moss and muck, and curvy.

Meanwhile, the cave area really is supposed to be all dirt, but it's not looking very good. Too little variation between the walls and the floor, I think. I tried converting the walls to natural stone, but it just looked silly when everywhere else on the map was dirt.

Suggestions on those? I've gotta get this knocked out so I can get it printed for this weekend.

EDIT:

Here's revision 2:

Name:	Bookmaker-Caverns-rev2.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	2.57 MB 
ID:	73344

I put together some new bridges. They're still flat rather than curved, but at least they're dirtied up.

The dirt of the cave floor is considerably lighter. That helps a bit, but I'm still not entirely happy with it.

I can't stand to look at the thing any more right now. Maybe something will occur to me in the morning.
    Last edited by wdmartin; 05-14-2015 at 01:23 AM. Reason: Adding a new version.

The bridges on the second map do look more appropriate to their surrounding. A missing (or mis-aligned) plank here or there would help. Also, the cave walls seem a bit too clean cut. Seams to me that they ought to be more jagged and have a bit more depth. The stones on the cave floor are also a different color than the cave walls and floor, which make them seem out of place. Just some things I noticed.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Lots of good elements you have. For the bridges I suggest finding some rotting fence images (one with good cross beams and moss on it would be ideal), and if you want to make it appear curved there is a filter in PS called spherize that you can use on just one axis to curve a section a bit. I'm sure gimp has the equivalent I just don't know what that might be. I'd go with more random shaped rubble as the bricks on the walls and floor are both to large for the square shaped rubble to seem related to them in any way. Love the walkways, those look really sharp, and your over all lay out feels very sewery.

Guild Adept Guild Sponsor

Map

Okay, here's the final version:

Name:	Bookmaker-Caverns-rev3.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	4.35 MB 
ID:	73351

Changes:

- Decreased the amount of rubble, and darkened it slightly to match the walkways more closely.
    - Roughened up the cave walls and gave them some more depth.
    - Destroyed bridge north of the junction, and damaged the east one.
    - Made a whole new bridge out of a fence (thanks, Madcowchef!) for the northern passage.

I experimented with the Spherize tool, but didn't have a whole lot of luck with it.

At this point I'm declaring it done because I have to get it printed tomorrow morning for use on Sunday, and there's a whole other map I've got to knock out tonight for printing tomorrow for use on Saturday.

Tell me again why I volunteered to run solo sessions for all five of my players during a long hiatus between regular meetings? X_X

Looking good! The bridges and cavern walls are much improved. I'm sure your players will love it.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh