Thread: Village buildings - query

Default Village buildings - query

Hey so I'm new here... I hope I'm in the right spot >_<.

I'm wondering how many and what sort of buildings I might find in a small village.

The village I have in mind is:

Population 85
    This includes:
    A lord, lady, their children and attendants
    Clergy and monks
    Carpenter and apprentice, wife and children
    Cooper and apprentice, wife parents children
    Tailor and wife
    Farmers, peasants and serfs

Is it strange to have three trades in such a small town? Let alone a cooper and carpenter in the same village.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry err

The village is adjacent a river and is at a crossroads that is the road less travelled. ie not the highway.

It is entirely possible in a village this small that apart from a dedicated smith, baker, and perhaps miller, the other occupations will be secondary pursuits of the farmers/serfs with anything else brought in from a larger village or market town. Assuming this is your usual feudal village.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Ah yah good assumption .

Didn't think about villagers having secondary pursuits, good point! And I suppose it wouldn't make much sense to have a dedicated carpentry or coopers house as any tradesmen of medium or high skill would be conscripted to a large town, city or castle.

Why is a smith required in the village? Could they deal without one?

With extreme difficulty I imagine. If you consider the amount of iron implements the village may be using - mostly agricultural tools such as plough blades, sickle and scythe blades, axes, knives, etc etc. Then you have the local noble and clergy's household/church needs - and they may own horses too.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Guild Member Facebook Connected

Imagine trying to build things without nails, saws, hammers, or axes, or having to go to the next town over to get them. Look at all the metal stuff that keeps your house together, too--or at least the stuff that would be feudal-era technology.

Smiths didn't just make weapons. XD

Just keep in mind that a village blacksmith probably won't be able to make gorgeous jewelry for a princess, or forge a king's magnificent sword (jewelers and weapon-smiths are much more specialized). A village smith's staples would be household things and farming or hunting tools.

Wow great replies!
    Well now I see it would be near impossible to run a small village without a smith. And it would probably be too much work for one smith to service two villages.

I will add a smith to the mix.

Thanks for the advice .

-mt

I think in the end it will have

A Manor House
    Store/stable
    Mill
    Community oven
    Blacksmith
    Chapel or church
    Basic housing