Thread: [Fractal Terrains --> Wilbur] Issues opening .MDR files in Wilbur

Guild Novice Facebook Connected Logan Medved's Avatar

Default [Fractal Terrains --> Wilbur] Issues opening .MDR files in Wilbur

Howdy folks. So I'm kind of new to the whole cartography scene and I seem to have run into a bit of an issue. I've seen on a lot of tutorials that state in a Fractal Terrains and Wilbur work flow, you save your file in FT as a "special .mdr" and then open that .mdr file in Wilbur. Every time I do this, I end up with a file that looks a little something like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wilbur incident.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	361.9 KB 
ID:	73404

When I save it out in Fractal Terrains, I set the Width samples to 4096, which is what my edit size is in Fractal Terrains (I saw in a tutorial that you should have them be the same size).
    Now I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong, I just don't know what that something is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure what's going on here. I just tried exporting a special MDR file from FT3 and reading it from Wilbur. Other than some problems with some outlying height values (easily removed with height clip in Wilbur), everything seemed to import as expected, including the unfortunate vertical flip.

It looks like you imported a binary file into Wilbur and incorrectly specified the size information (the first row in the file looks to be spanning about the first 8 or so rows in the displayed data, which would be reasonable for wrapping 4096-wide data into the default 512-wide surface).

What versions of Wilbur and FT are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    I'm not sure what's going on here. I just tried exporting a special MDR file from FT3 and reading it from Wilbur. Other than some problems with some outlying height values (easily removed with height clip in Wilbur), everything seemed to import as expected, including the unfortunate vertical flip.

It looks like you imported a binary file into Wilbur and incorrectly specified the size information (the first row in the file looks to be spanning about the first 8 or so rows in the displayed data, which would be reasonable for wrapping 4096-wide data into the default 512-wide surface).

What versions of Wilbur and FT are you using?
    Fractal Terrains 3 v3.0.12
    Wilbur v1.71

Aahaa! Eurika! So I just updated to 1.83 and it works wonderfully! I apologize for wasting your time.

I'm (in)famous for breaking things from version to version, but I try to get them fixed fairly quickly after they've been reported. I figure that less than 10% of observed problems get reported, so any report is a good report! Thank you for taking the time to find out instead of just giving up.

Thanks for actually replying! It's good to see you guys have an awesome community here. Cheers!