Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: File size, resolution ideas and rivers

Default File size, resolution ideas and rivers

Hello, I am currently working on a large continent map for a large, continent spanning empire. My favorite map is this one: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=8255 TORENTINE: Political Map.

The continent is roughly 150% the size of Africa with very few deserts, some mountains and a large number of rivers (navigable rivers play a big theme in the nations development).
    My problem is this: I want to meet the level of detail of the TORENTINE: Political Map, but 'zoomed out' to focus more on the major roads and cities. How big should I make my file? Right now its roughly 2600x2600 but that doesn't provide much detail.

Secondly, what would be the best way to go about adding rivers in? Any ways I can generate them or do I need to just hand draw them in?

By the way, does anyone know of a google-maps style map tiler but for images? Something like this: http://maps.osm2world.org/ I am just thinking ahead when it comes to sharing this thing in an easy way.

Here is what I have so far. I would like to start from scratch again so I can make it far larger and more detailed, this was more of a learning experience for me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Continent-Vayiir-Map-1.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	73407

I didn't quite understand if you want to make this file larger or start again. If you are starting again, make it way larger than 2600x2600, if you are going to try and expand this image, then you are a little limited by the loss of quality in that awesome surface that you achieved.

On another note, a continent 1.5 times larger than Africa and this much stretched N-S will necessarily encompass a lot of different climate zones. You are bound to have deserts somewhere, steppes and chilly/frozen areas. And a empire covering across that, in ancient times, would be an organizational nightmare - large empires span areas of similar terrain (normally).

Yes I want to make it way larger than 2600x2600, I am not sure how much larger. Do I want to do 30kx30k? Just trying to get my bearings I guess.

The empire landed on the continents shores with a roughly European 900AD level of technology and began to spread out by there. After a period of dis-unification, re-contact with the old world 700 years later and gradual re-unification in this worlds rough equivalent of the 1800's, the empire started to re-absorb its former subjects over time. Eventually forming a federated system of government that was fully unified around this world equivalent of the early 1900's.

So this empire only finally congeals with a 1920's/1930's level of technology.

Keep in mind, the original colonists were fleeing a major volcanic disaster back home and arrived en-mass both as explorers and refugees. They found a land with very primitive (and disease susceptible) natives that put up very little resistance. They were also cut off from the old world.
    Last edited by Krases; 05-17-2015 at 06:53 PM.

While I can't really help you, since I don't use an image editor (Photoshop or GIMP) as no doubt you're using an image editor of some kind (the context of your question indicates that). I use Xara Designer Pro, a vector application for my maps and despite what people might think of maps created in a vector program, I can easily create a vector map that looks exactly like the map you posted. The value of vector software is that you design your map based on inches or centimeter, and resolution has absolutely no meaning at all. Once I complete a map, I then export to any preferred format (TIF, JPG, PNG, etc.) and to whatever resolution I want (50 ppi, 96 ppi, 100 ppi, 200 ppi or 300 ppi.) This way I can create a large format printable map (say 24 x 36 inches @ 300 ppi) as well as a 2048 pixel wide for VT phone app version from the same map design. Using vector instead image editor gives me far more versatility regarding resolution and file size - I don't have your problem.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    While I can't really help you, since I don't use an image editor (Photoshop or GIMP) as no doubt you're using an image editor of some kind (the context of your question indicates that). I use Xara Designer Pro, a vector application for my maps and despite what people might think of maps created in a vector program, I can easily create a vector map that looks exactly like the map you posted. The value of vector software is that you design your map based on inches or centimeter, and resolution has absolutely no meaning at all. Once I complete a map, I then export to any preferred format (TIF, JPG, PNG, etc.) and to whatever resolution I want (50 ppi, 96 ppi, 100 ppi, 200 ppi or 300 ppi.) This way I can create a large format printable map (say 24 x 36 inches @ 300 ppi) as well as a 2048 pixel wide for VT phone app version from the same map design. Using vector instead image editor gives me far more versatility regarding resolution and file size - I don't have your problem.

Funny enough, this map started in Adobe Illustrator (a vector program). Thats where the continent got its shape before importing to photoshop and honestly I am way more comfortable with illustrator. I have no clue though how you would be able to get the realistic terrain texture without photoshops heal and clone stamp tools.

If I could do this all in illustrator, I would be so happy.

I have this feeling that you're leaping headlong into a common trap: trying to make one huge map when you would most likely be much better served by making two or more smaller maps. As always, the correct answer lies with why you're making the map (that is, in what you intend to do with the final product). The basic definition of a map is an abstraction of a place done for a specific client for a specific reason. You state that you want to show major cities and roads; putting in a huge amount of detail beyond that level is counterproductive because it's just clutter on a continental scale. The details for a regional or local map would go on those maps instead. It may seem like more work than just making one huge map and slicing it, but it's usually far less work and looks far better because you can take advantage of the viewer's expectations to fill in less-detailed areas on the maps.

Heres a previous map I did that gives an idea of what I am trying to accomplish. I would like to add in city names, major roads/railroads and list river and lake names more legibly. This map was exclusively done in illustrator. I would like to add in terrain like in my first post and generally make things more legible.

Name:	Watersheds-Mega-Map-Edit-3.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	73410

I could point to any of my maps, all were done in Xara. While Illustrator is a much more powerful program than Xara, I think Xara have better bevel tools - most of my effects are drawing shapes, applying photo image fills (or 2 color fractal mixes), then applying a rounded or flat bevel. In my hand-drawn maps I place a scanned pen & ink drawing on top as an overlay, but the rest of the map is how I just described. Most people (who don't already know me) think I used Photoshop or GIMP in maps I create.

Here's some recent samples of my work, all vector created:

Name:	neptune-main-final.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	4.09 MB 
ID:	73411Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cypress-tower.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	3.21 MB 
ID:	73412Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bronze-age-settlement.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	3.85 MB 
ID:	73413Click image for larger version. 

Name:	anubia7.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	3.00 MB 
ID:	73414Click image for larger version. 

Name:	elf-queen-pier.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	73415
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Here's some regional maps (to show something comparative to what you're working with).

GP

Name:	crown-colonies-final-fixed.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	73416Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maelstrom.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	558.1 KB 
ID:	73417Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kaidan-final-map-tweaked.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	73418Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yonshu-thumb.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	73419Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ryukyo.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	996.1 KB 
ID:	73420
    DrivethruRPG store

@Gamerprinter, wow, that's some impressive output for a vector program. I'm very impressed. I use Inkscape but it tends to crap out once you start adding too many effects.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast