Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WIP - Mordor

That sounds very cool Max. My first thought was mirkwood or somewhere near rivendell.
    I'll have to think about it. There are a lot of cool areas to map.

[ staying away from Gondor... too many cities already]

Hey Sap... what do you think?

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    That sounds very cool Max. My first thought was mirkwood or somewhere near rivendell.
    I'll have to think about it. There are a lot of cool areas to map.

[ staying away from Gondor... too many cities already]

Hey Sap... what do you think?
    Hm, I would rather go for the whole of it; maybe as 2015 challenge entry.

Banned User

Right. It would be great if my freaking map actually got some feedback. It seems like you map one **** map called Ganithes and everyone ignores you from then on. So far I've gotten 'Cool' for a map that I think might be the best thing I've done yet. Even constructive negative feedback is nowhere to be seen, instead my thread is being used in place of personal messages.
    Last edited by Sarithus; 05-22-2015 at 03:13 AM.

Gani... what is that? (just joking)

You cannot blame people who feels more attracted by famous sagas. Ok, you have convinced me, I'm going to look for your thread and write you some feedback...

Are you sure you want to mirror the mountain ranges? I really like the style, it seems to be a very popular style nowadays. Nice colors and pencilwork... maybe some lava floating down from the volcano?

Edit: You want to make a digital map look like it was painted. When I look at the smoke from the volcano it makes me think of a coal-pen. Maybe try to simulate a drawing instead with focus on graphite and coal. I can see some thumbstamps aswell on the edges of the map
    Last edited by Obbehobbe; 05-22-2015 at 04:54 AM.
    "That sounds... incredibly complicated, but there's no doubt the result is fantastic." /Diamond

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Meriba View Post
    Gani... what is that? (just joking)

You cannot blame people who feels more attracted by famous sagas. Ok, you have convinced me, I'm going to look for your thread and write you some feedback...
    I haven't a clue what you mean by this post. I was referring to a map I made called Ganithes, but I'm talking about the lack of feedback on THIS thread.

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Obbehobbe View Post
    Are you sure you want to mirror the mountain ranges? I really like the style, it seems to be a very popular style nowadays. Nice colors and pencilwork... maybe some lava floating down from the volcano?
    Who said they'd be mirrored? Have people forgotten what WIP means?

Edit: Screw it, taking a break from this site.
    Last edited by Sarithus; 05-22-2015 at 04:55 AM.

Who said they won't be mirrored?

Edit: Hey, I like your map and I think it deserves some more attention. But I think you are a bit unfriendly now, especially when I was trying to do exactly what you asked for - feedback. I am sorry if it doesn't suited you.
    Last edited by Obbehobbe; 05-22-2015 at 05:02 AM.
    "That sounds... incredibly complicated, but there's no doubt the result is fantastic." /Diamond

I'm sorry My fault.

If you are referring to THIS thread, I don't see so much work to give you feedback yet. Not to mention that "Have people forgotten what WIP means?" doesn't helps to cheer me up to do it.

It sound to me like a...
    Maybe you could... IT'S NOT FINISHED!
    That volcano... IT'S NOT FINISHED!
    Ok ok, I'll wait to comment when you finished.

Cheers!

Sarithus, I completely understand your frustration, and it would be sad to see you go. But, I really don't think they meant anything "bad" by it. With a open state of mind you could actually see the earlier comments as something good, like: three great cartographers were triggered by your map to do something similar of their own. Isn't that the best kind of feedback? In the end, it becomes a question of, would you rather have the great artist comment on your work and say "Hay, that's a awesome map." Or would you want the great artist to be inspired by it? I would pick the later any day of the week, simply, because while kind words feels great, to inspire someone, is eternal. And if it's constructive feedback you are looking for, then ask for it – possibly pinpoint exactly what feedback you need and you will probably receive it (depending on the guild activity of the day).

But, again, I understand your frustration. Lately here at the guild there have been a lot of this miscommunication going on (And I don't mean specifically by you – just in general). People reading in negative meaning into other people comments. Personally, I think this all relates to the fact that the "Like" button is missing. For example here, a simple 'Like' on your map from let's say Max, would have made it easier to see that the more "private" comments are related to your map as appreciation. And earlier, when you asked for some feedback on the perspective, I for one thought it looked good, but I didn't bother commenting "Looks good" simply because lately I have insisted on writing these huge walls of text. That would have been solved by a 'Like'.

Now, for what really matters: feedback. I think your map is a great start, however, I would love to see you finish the outline before you start coloring. It's really hard to give any thorough feedback when it's in such early stage, but what you have so far looks great, and the colors are very fitting! Now, as you ask for it, I will give you a bite of criticism. I find that there are some perspective issues in what you have so far. The mountains are more seen from a eagle view, while Orodruin(stunning drawing for the record) and the Black Gate are seen from the ground up. Perspective vise, for Orodruin to be the same as the other mountains, we would almost see down into the crater at the top of the volcano. But, mixing perspectives is never wrong, and often adds some creativity to map. It all depends what you want to draw

Ps/ Do I make any sense at all? Had a long, studious morning.

Cheers,
    Tainotim

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast