Thread: City scape commission?

Default City scape commission?

Dear Community

I am looking to commission a series of maps to support my D&D campaign. Accordingly, I am looking for a variety of different style maps... Hence I've posted in general, I couldn't see a more appropriate forum category.

The story is a cityscape story. The city is split into five districts.

To start with I'd like one overall City map which is more decorative and five separate regional maps which would ideally show "every" building so to speak.

I would also be looking to do some squared battle mats for key encounters.

Is that something I am likely to be able to commission on this site, if so I'd be very much interested in quotes and samples. It will take me some time to get all the planning done but Id like to spot the talent as it were.

Best wishes
    Gilatinous Pentagon
    Last edited by Korash; 06-16-2015 at 08:31 PM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Hi there,

I moved your thread in the Map request section, which looks the more appropriate forum category Aldo please take a look at the sticky, you might want to edit your post with more details on what you're looking for.

Welcome to the Guild

If you are requesting a map there is a certain minimum amount of information which is useful to put into your request. Please feel free to copy and paste the template below into your post adapting it to your needs so you don't get deluged with obvious questions. Apart from inserting a prefix to your original post, you don't have to slavishly follow the the guidelines below, they are just for assistance. For excellent examples of a map request please see this post or this post.

If you are more than a hobbyist or would like to know more about Commissioning artwork check out Commissioning Illustrations by Randy Gallegos. Written for those in the art illustration industry it has great information that will make it easier to negotiate an agreement with almost any artist.

[Compulsory] Commission

Please select a prefix [Paid], [Unpaid], [Paid?] or [other] from the drop down menu when composing your post.

Hi there,

Many thanks for the forum thread move. It’s what I get for attempting to search the forum precedents on my phone. I found the FAQ’s but not this sticky.

I will attempt to give as much relevant information as I can. I’m not entirely sure how to change the thread prefix to ‘commission or paid’ if I grovel nicely, could a mod do it please…

I am in the midst of writing a D&D premade campaign, that ultimately I would like to publish online, for free or for minimal payment. I want the maps to look good, and therefore instead of creating some amateur rubbish that I would produce I am happy to pay for an experienced cartographer to work with me. Whilst I have to have a map that supports my campaign, the act of designing a city is one with a lot of opportunity. I therefore want to draw from the experience of the cartographer as much as providing my own notes as to what I want.

Payment:

I’m happy to pay a commission to the cartographer. As I am after three types of map, I’d prefer to be offered quotes for each component as there’s no reason why one cartographer should do all 3 types.

I am happy to pay via Paypal, I don’t know what is usual, but I am happy to pay a partial deposit up front.

As I don’t have 5 post yet, it is best that you email me. I can be contacted at
    Ben-thomas-salmon@gmail.com
    But taking the advice from this forum, I have converted .’s to –‘s. So please convert back when you email me.

Subject:

Okay, I want three types of map.

My story is set in a city, which is currently un-named. The city is a harbour city and in the way of all fantasy cities, is split into five districts. The districts are as follows: Docks, Metropolis (Slums), Mercantile, Temple and Noble.

1. The first map that I would like is a general map of the whole city. I hope that the HoarseWhisperer won’t mind me linking his/her map from the gallery:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...0&d=1431571648

This is roughly the style that I had in mind, as my city is also a harbour city, it would make sense to take from the perspective of the sea. This map would be useful to show players what the city looks like and to show where the districts are loosely. I would want it to fit comfortably on a page of A4.

2. The second set of maps would be district maps. These would need to be of more use for the players and whilst I am not especially specific in what style they are (I’d be happy to see suggestions from any interested cartographer). I need them to clearly show streets and landmarks. I want it to specifically show just the district, so it could show up to the district walls and then be blank after. Or it could be blurred or whatever the cartographer thinks best. As it is fantasy, (D&D forgotten realms), it would have to however suit that ascetic.

3. Finally I would like to commission a series of battle maps for some encounters of the campaign. These would range from maps of the sewers, to maps of streets to maps of temples. These, would be similar ideally to the Paizo range of battlemaps.

For example: http://static4.paizo.com/image/produ...O/PZO30062.jpg

I would provide a map of where I need furniture etc. to be.

Quality & Size

• Semi Professional Quality would want to see examples of Cartographers work previously.
    • Required for print.
    • Am designing for A4. The district and city maps should sit comfortably on a portrait page of A4.

Time Constraints

This is an ongoing project, but I would obviously want to be kept up to date with progress.

Copyright

I intend to publish online, I am happy for the artist to exhibit the image as part of his portfolio but not to exploit for commercial gain.

Contact Details

I don’t have access to private message yet, so please do use my email. If you want to contact me by phone or text, I am quite happy to email my mobile number too.

Once again, my email is ben-thomas-salmon@gmail.com. But do remember to convert the hyphens to full stops.

Just want to add that I really love the community that you’ve got here and I hope that I have provided sufficient information to make such a commission plausible.
    Best wishes
    Gelatinous Pentagon / Ben

Added the paid prefix for you.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Hi All

I have chosen a cartographer. Many thanks to everyone who contacted me, it's so tough to choose!

I'd just like to commend the community on the outstanding talent on here.

Best
    Gelatinous Pentagon