Wip Four Girls in Italy - Off to Rome

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TwoDown-01.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	3.05 MB 
ID:	73717
    Two down, two to go - Off to Rome

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

The beveled roofs don't catch the ancient style imho but that's still looking good Also some white and yellow labels are hardly readable at the moment.

Thanks, Max I'll definitely be working on the text - I'll have some more call outs of where my daughter actually went. I'll try a few sample - drop shadow/glow not sure yet.
    I'll pobably get rid of the pattern on the plazas and try a more cobblestone effect. I also want to do some line work on all of them once they are all at the same level - not sure how to treat the beveled roof, maybe the line work will help those. Thanks for taking the time to look at it.

I really like the overall layout Snodsy, and both the maps and the text is highly enjoyable. The only critique I have is what Max said. From a distance it works, but on a close up look the bevel feels strange.

Looking forward to the third map!

Cheers,
    Tainotim

Three down one to go, at that point I'll redo some of the larger buildings since the bevel looks worse on these. I've added some textural elements to the backgroundsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	ThreeCities-01.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	3.84 MB 
ID:	73783

Going to try to finish this up this weekend, refining some of the larger buildings, by eliminating the crappy bevel. The bevel works well on the individual building, but not so good on larger ones. The building are drawn with the smallest buildings at 7 pixels square, they look clean, but when rotated to correspond to the roadway, they get an extra funky little pixel added to them at the corners. I think next time I'll do them at 200% final size in photoshop and then reduce them down after I've import them into Adobe Illustrator, Illustrator is where I always add the text. Each photoshop map is 6" x 6" at 300 ppi before being imported into illustrator which is the final output size. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AlmostThereItaly-01.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	2.64 MB 
ID:	73875

This is cool, I love the idea of mapping a vacation along with comments like a diary. In fact it might make a good monthly challenge for the future.

I enjoyed reading the story, the maps are looking great and thanks for sharing.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The-GirlsWIDE.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	781.8 KB 
ID:	73889
    Hopefully this downloads ok. I've had some problems with file size. Thanks for all the help and comments along the way. Jaxilon, I agree this would be a cool challenge, I've really enjoyed it and cannot wait to get it framed and give it to my daughter and her friends.

I've liked following this and it is very impressive. I don't actually mind the bevel either - I think it is subtle enough to work. It was also an interesting read as well.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast